Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

Archer

student pilot forever
What are the INS requirements for non-US citizens (on student F-1 visas) who would like to get FAA CFI certificate, work as a CFI and procede to charter/cargo and ultimately corporate flying?

That's me, if I decide to go fly professionally. Could I work as CFI and go into professional flying here in the US after graduation? what would I need?

Thanx

Well anyone can get a CFI certificate. The problem is getting a job. There are ways to build time on a student visa, but don't expect to get paid. Your best bet is to somehow qualify for a green card. Now you can be legally employed in the US. However, even if you have that you can't train in anything over 12,500 pounds until you get a US citizenship. That'll take three to five years after you get a greencard. More likely the rules will be revised before you get naturlized. So basically, it's pretty tough for a foreign pilot to become a professional pilot in the US.

If you want to fly in America your best bet is to give up aviaition for the present time, make some money, and convince an American girl to marry you.

well, out the window goes becoming a pro pilot in the US then...I was debating whether to become a pilot or an engineer, and thought I would have only problems becoming an engineer in the US, but now it turns out that even becoming a pilot is hard for foreign people...

and I've heard corporate flying the Europe is not all that big of a market...and quite a few countries (including my own, Italy) are still on the process of converting to JAA standards...

:(

Archer

Archer,

This information is current and correct regarding non US citizens flying in the United States. Non citizens can fly ANY US civil aircraft, regardless of weight. (I should know - I am a Permanent Resident flying as a DC10 FO for a US airline).

Since Sept 11, new background checks have been in effect for non US citizens. Any non US citizen must now go through an additional Dept. Of Justice "Foreign Terrorist Tracking Task Force" background check.

This check ............"may include, but is not limited to, biographical, financial, law enforcement and intelligence information". It can take anywhere up to 45 days to complete. Any non US citizens who have not completed the check will not be allowed to start training in any aircraft weighing over 12,500lbs.

This check is only for new hires. Anyone flying large aircraft prior to Sept 11th, does not have to go through the check in order to continue flying the same aircraft for the same company, however they would have to go through it if hired by another airline.

As for your CFI, you will be under no restrictions in obtaining the certificate, however you will not be allowed to work for hire until you get a Green Card or some other type of work visa.

Hope this clears things up.

DC10 said:
This check ............"may include, but is not limited to, biographical, financial, law enforcement and intelligence information". It can take anywhere up to 45 days to complete. Any non US citizens who have not completed the check will not be allowed to start training in any aircraft weighing over 12,500lbs.

The only problem is currently the TSA or whatever agency in charge of this has no way method of completing the check. This is why PR new hires at ACA are working at a desk instead of flying. This thread has some good info on the whole situation. No doubt the situation will change by the time Archer is ready to fly something heavier then 12,500 pounds, but it shows how being a PR has some disadvantages.

If you really want to become a US citizen it is possible with some hard work. Becoming an engineer might be the ticket you need, since the US has allowed many technical workers in on visas in the last few years. Once your here you'd just have to find way to stay.

Last edited:
Wiggums said:
Becoming an engineer might be the ticket you need, since the US has allowed many technical workers in on visas in the last few years. Once your here you'd just have to find way to stay.
Once you have obtained a work visa (H1 for example), the visa's validity is contingent upon your continued employment with the sponsor of your visa (your employer). The possesion of the visa would not give you the right to work as a flight instructor if it were based on your employment as an engineer - but a green card would.

This may have been what Wiggums meant above, but I thought I'd clarify.

Good luck, I hope it works out for you. The only Italian I know is a line from Dante that seems to be particularly inappropriate to this thread....:)

:D Guys I have good news for all of you who are PR. The DOJ has come up with the web Sight (it has link from the FAA.GOV sight and then go to foreign pilot background check). The web sight will do your background check, there is lot of information that you have to fill in. So before you access the sight have everything ready Passport, visa,10 year employement history and tons of other stuff. You will have to pick a school from there browser you cant pick any joe schmoe school. Also the school should have you training Info i.e if DOJ called Simuflite and asked about your training schedule they should have your info. you have to be getting employed by someone to get the training Or in other words you cant be MR Moussoi who just wants to learn take offs and no landing.

TXCAP4228 said:
Once you have obtained a work visa (H1 for example), the visa's validity is contingent upon your continued employment with the sponsor of your visa (your employer). The possesion of the visa would not give you the right to work as a flight instructor if it were based on your employment as an engineer - but a green card would.

This may have been what Wiggums meant above, but I thought I'd clarify.

Yeah, that is true. It is possible with some luck to get a green card after holding a H-1B. However, if you leave the job that brought you over before that time you'll have to return to your home country.

Thanks for the new info about background checks. Looks like I'll need to get all the stuff together their asking for.

Last edited:
The non US citizen background check is completed by the US Department of Justice. I assume that ACA never attempted to complete this check on behalf of its non US citizens prior to going to flight training and hence the delay.

The airline hiring the foreigner is responsible for submitting the paperwork to the Dept of Justice. I have been offered a position with Air Tran for their January class and have completed the necessary DOJ paperwork. The pilot recruitment people there told me that they have submitted many such applications in the last year or so and they are usually returned to the airline and cleared to start training within 2-3 weeks.

Here's what I got:

From this website:

https://www.flightschoolcandidates.gov/

The notification system for pilots not eligible for expedited processing will be one of the first electronic-based systems developed by the Department. The Department wanted to make sure that the public and the aviation industry had an opportunity to comment on this interface. As a result, the Flight Training Candidate Checks Program proposed notification system has been made available for public review. The public is welcome to access the system, but should refrain from submitting any data. The Department will not process any forms submitted through this notification system until a final rule implementing the system is in effect. The submission of identifying information through this system will not constitute notification of the Attorney General as required by section 113 of the ATSA. Any notifications submitted to the Department for pilots eligible for expedited processing should be provided in accordance with the interim rule published concurrently with this proposed rule. [/QUOTE?]

So does the electronic aplication works or not yet?
Is this the correct website?
Why does the DOJ keep's telling US when we call that the background check for PR without prior experience in A/C over 12,500 Lbs doesn't exist yet?

DC 10: Do you have any more acurate information?
Anybody?

any and all help will be greatly appreciated.

Rich!:)

Last edited:

Latest resources

Back