Citation XL question

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

Groundpounder

Can an Excel fly between FXE and ASE non stop on a regular basis? If so, how many pax can it carry? How much of a difference would an XLS make on this trip?

Thanks, trying to get some answers for a customer.

I wouldnt do it nonstop. Ran a flight plan for you...here is what I came up with:

1648 nm...going overwater.
FL430
4:43 enroute with a 25 knot headwind. It will be much worse in the winter.
5,620 lbs fuel burn (6800 lbs max fuel)

At max fuel, you have 400 lbs payload.

You're gonna need a fuel stop, and then you can probably take 1800 lbs (7-8 pax and bags) payload with 5400 lbs of gas. When I flew the XL, we landed with 1500 lbs or more. Going into ASE, you'll want more fuel to back you up (we used 2000-2500 for rock flying).

It looks like OKC or just short of there would be a good fuel stop. Then you could stay lower and go faster. I dont think the XLS will have any bigger of an impact.

Anyone have any other thoughts? I 'd check with some of the NetJet or Citation Shares guys for their thoughts.

I agree you will never make it expecially going to ASE. The XLS will not help you enough to make a difference either.

Im still gonna recommend stopping on the way back too, that is if you have a full boat. Keep in mind now your leaving out of some of the highest mountains in the country, and you need to be light leaving so you can make some kind of climb gradient should a PW545 crap out on you. If its VFR, you can take more. I wouldnt even suggest leaving out of there unless it is 3000-4000 cielings. Actually, I think you need 5000 to leave. Better start looking myself, its getting to be that damn season.

Heres what FltPlan.com came up with:

FL410
4:03 enroute
5,288 lbs burn (w/o reserves)
400 kts TAS w/ 30 kt tailwind

With much stronger tailwinds you could theoretically make it, but it all depends on how many people you have to take and how much $hit they have.

Try to convey to this guy that you can get him there and back in the same amount of time, give or take, by flying lower, going faster, and significantly increasing safety margins with more fuel reserve and climb gradient to play with if you make a fuel stop. He should really look at a Falcon 50 or something of that caliber if its that much of an issue for stopping.

He can spend a half hour on the ground getting fuel or an extra half hour in the air by going high and slow.

It looks like, by your total time, you wont be flying him, but any sane and responsible pilot will tell this guy "I'm sorry, it cant be done without a fuel stop in this airplane" and tell him thats your "final answer". Mountain flying and max range flying are serious, no need to take stupid risks to save "warbucks" a few minutes.

Part of me wishes they'd hurry up and build a dang time transporter or some crap like it for flights like this.

Last edited:
It must be 3100-3 or you must meet the climb which we go out of there alot and your takeoff weight is limited to around 14000 with a temp of 0. which to give you a idea the BOW of the airplane is around 12500. Even if the weather is good that is too far of a leg for going out of ASE nonstop.

No, I won't be flying anyone around. One of our customers was asking me some questions about the Excel, and wanted to know about flying the thing between FXE and ASE. I told him I'd look up some info, and get back to him. Who knows if anything is going to come of this, but hopefully I'll make a good impression.

Anyway, thanks all for the info, this is what makes flightinfo great!!

Latest resources

Back