Citation overruns runway in Hamilton, MT

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

CitationXDriver

My dad just called and let me in on this one. There are pics in the local papers but I couldnt find any online.

Beyond the runway
Ravalli County Airport logs third crash since May
by LUELLA N. BRIEN - Ravalli Republic

A 1995 Cessna 560 turbo jet crashed at Ravalli County Airport Monday morning.

The fixed-wing, multi-engine jet owned by River City Flying Service of Portland, Ore., reportedly came in for a landing, but didn't stop once it reached the runway.

Terry Whittier, of Sun Valley, Idaho, and his pilot, Eric Burke, of Idaho Falls, Idaho, were shaken up but unharmed.

“We were landing the plane and it touched down and didn't stop,” Wittier said. “This plane usually stops pretty quickly.”

The jet skidded to a stop about 100 yards from the runway in a marsh north of the airport, its front wheel was torn off about 90 yards north of the airport.

“I don't like motocrossing in an airplane,” Whittier said.

Interim Airport Manager Page Gough said the accident was reported to the Federal Aviation Administration.

Since there were no injuries, Ravalli County Undersheriff Kevin McConnell said the crash sight didn't have to be secured for FAA investigators.

Whittier and Burke waited on top of the plane for nearly a half an hour while rescue workers found an extension ladder long enough to reach the wing from the ground.

Monday's accident was the third at the airport since May.

Last month, an experimental airplane's landing gear collapsed upon take off. The aircraft ended up in the grassy median between the landing strip and taxi way when the landing gear collapsed causing the propellers to bend on impact.

In May, an aircraft was landing from the north when a crosswind caused it to veer to the east, the plane landed upside down.

There were no injuries in either accidents.

Wow, we go in there quite a bit in a 560. Glad the pilots were okay. Hamilton is the airport Caneman filmed his C-172 flight!

I think we are all grateful that there were no siginificant injuries.
Another fatality is not something we need to hear. There have been just way to many of them, lately.

hyflyt560 said:
Wow, we go in there quite a bit in a 560. Glad the pilots were okay. Hamilton is the airport Caneman filmed his C-172 flight!

I just checked out the Caneman video. Way to make me homesick!! My parents live just a few miles from the Hamilton Airport.

Latest posts

Latest resources

Back