• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

FL350

WAR EAGLE!!!!
Hi all,

I got a call today from a company that operates a Citation III. He asked me what I would expect for pay. I gave him a figure based on what I am making now and would be happy making with a new job. I am afraid I may have given him a figure far too low. He seemed very interested in me after I told him. :) What can a corporate Citation III driver expect to make?

I appreciate any follow ups on this.

FL350

I agree with 1900cpt. I would think it would depend where you are located. What position is it for captain or FO? I know places that pay there FO's in the 40's and there are other that pay in the high 20's. I know a guy that flys a conquest making in the 70's. Not to shabby for a turbine driver. Don't sell you self short though. It's easy to come down but it's hard to try and get more once you give them a figure.

Good Luck

Is it Just Me

I am happy you have someone calling you with 1,100 hours. Don't take this as a personal but how is it that you got that offer with people with a great deal more experience than you lining up at employer's doors begging for work.

I have noticed several posts from less competitive time pilots who are getting these jobs. What am I missing?

Is the fact most of us have furlough on our resumes?

And as to your question of money. Its all about what the market will bear. You have to look at what the job will take (cleaning the airplane, doing the Jepps, arranging rental cars, flight planning the trips..et al) how many days off, are there benefits or is this contractual work.

Depending on the city and the cost of living, the previous numbers sound close.

Humble

two cents...

The figure I gave him was a little lower than what you all quoted. However if it helps me get the job...i will take it. It is still more than I am making now.

As for Humblepilots question, networking networking networking. Since I started working when I was 16, I have never gotten a job by blindly sending out a resume or filling out an application. Every job I have gotten has been because I knew or a friend knew the man doing the hiring. In my short time in this business I have found that your logbook will only get you so far. Who you know and how you can get along with who you know are worth a couple thousand hours. Thats my two cents from an 1100 hour pilot. I'll get off my soapbox now. happy flying.

FL 350

Dont settle for a number because it is more than you make now...Shoot high, and settle lower(than you asked for) and you will still be ahead.

Also find out if there are extra duites...washing the plane, jepps, office/busy work or is it all flying?!?

How about a schedule....is it all beeper, do you have any hard days off...when do you get typed? Does he cover any expenses, such as food??

Can anyone else think of anything i left out?

1900cpt

I just got off the phone with the chief pilot. He has scheduled an interview/trip with me next week. He is paying air fare, daily pay, and expenses.

No busy/office work, will have to do jepps, no pager, will have to keep airplane tidy and cleaned periodically. I didn't hear anything that was out of the ordinary or at all objectionable.

I don't want to settle for a salary but I don't want to ask so much that he can find someone else to hire with more experience and less $$.

Thanks for the info.

Can anybody else think of anything that he may have forgotten?

FL350

In answer to humblepilot's question...

Many furloughed pilots are having difficulty getting a corporate/135 job right now because furloughed airline pilots are perceived as being short term employees. I witnessed this myself a few months ago when helping my former employer find a replacement for my position when I left the company. I was told to discard any resume that was from a furloughed airline pilot, or from any pilot with large transport category type ratings (airliners not bizjets). I was furloughed myself, so I know what everyone is going through. I would recommend that everyone tailor their resumes for the position sought. Listing 16,000 TT and six type ratings for a first officer position is not very smart, IMHO. It's kinda a red flag in the corporate world. Not my doing or the way I would want things, just passing on my experience.

Alright, so you tailor your resume to fit the job and when they do the background check your busted for lying on your application/resume.

Basically a pilot with 1,100 hours sitting in the right seat of a CE650 is extra weight, not much use. This chief pilot wants someone who's low time 1) to sit and be quite 2) to show the boss that he's keeping expenses down, and 3) to run the show his way whether it's legal or not.

My personal experience of looking for a flying job since 9/11 Humblepilot is, of the folks I've talked with, they are interested but 1) they don't want to spend the money on training, prefer that one is current and qualified, and 2) they don't want to pay the going rate.

Going rate for an F/O position for a CE650 is 40K, no less! Captain is 70K, no less.

RJ

RJones,

I understand your frustrations and agree with your comments. However, what I'm mentioning is not lying on the resume, it's merely tailoring the resume AND COVER LETTER to fit the position. For example, I came across many resumes with generic cover letters that stated qualifications such as "heavy international experience in a part 121 environment". How does this experience apply to a Part 91 position flying a Citationjet that only flies domestically? My point wasn't to lie on a resume, but to merely personalize the resumes and cover letters for the particular position.

Latest resources

Back