• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Citation goes off runway in NJ

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Glad they weren't injured. Sounds like the aircraft absorbed all of the momentum.

No injuries as plane overshoots runway in Old Bridge
July 17, 2005, 7:22 PM EDT

OLD BRIDGE, N.J. -- A corporate jet trying to land at Old Bridge Airport overshot a runway Sunday afternoon and eventually came to rest in a nearby grassy area, but no one aboard the aircraft was injured.

The twin-engine plane, a Cessna Citation 525 owned by Hertrich Aviation Inc. of Seaford, Del., sustained substantial damage when it went down around 4:15 p.m., said Jim Peters, a spokesman for the Federal Aviation Administration.

A pilot and two passengers were aboard the plane, but their names were not immediately available. Peters said the jet had departed earlier in the day from Sussex County Airport in Georgetown, Del.

As the pilot attempted to land at the airport in Middlesex County, he overshot a runway by about 300 to 400 feet, Peters said. It was not immediately clear why that occurred, and the National Transportation Safety Board is investigating the crash as an accident.

I know nothing about the citations...is this considered a short runway for the C525?

Flying Illini said:
I know nothing about the citations...is this considered a short runway for the C525?

Cessna's website for the CJ2+ says that the required landing distance at MLW at sea level is 3050 ft. For the CJ1+, Cessna claims a landing distance of 2840 ft at MLW and sea level.

I don't if the plane in the accident was a CJ1 or 2 but I thought those numbers might give you some indication of the performance capabilities. Of course, if there are trees at both ends of the runway, touching down close to the beginning of the runway might be difficult or impossible.

Flying Illini said:
Not a bit. The CJ is a very nimble and easy airplane to fly. You can do short fields in this airplane easier then most 172's! You can take this airplane in, and get it out, of some pretty impressive places.

We've taken our CJ2 (fully loaded) into 3,500 ft fields with ease many times, and you can get the airplane easily stopped 3/4 of the way down the runway - same for takeoff as well. On takeoff we typically joke right after the wheels start moving forward: "V1" :D

3,000 feet is typically the cutoff on runway lengths that we'll consider for use.

As for the person that asked about what type of CJ this one, this would be the straight CitationJet. CJ2 is denoted as C525A, and the new CJ3 is C525B.

Last edited:

Latest resources

Back