citation 500 question

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

falcondrivr

any straight wing citation experts out there that can give me a rundown on the 500,550,551,560 product line over its life. im in the market to buy, and am curious as to the basic changes that cessna made to the airframe from the I to the Ultra over the course of its life so far. performance mostly.

any straight wing citation experts out there that can give me a rundown on the 500,550,551,560 product line over its life. im in the market to buy, and am curious as to the basic changes that cessna made to the airframe from the I to the Ultra over the course of its life so far. performance mostly.

The performance has increased. Still a 360kt aircraft. They are easy to fly and relatively simple to maintain. The Pratts are EXPENSIVE to overhaul. I don't know if Cessna has any engine programs such as MSP or JSSI. If they do, take full advantage of it!!!

If you are looking for performance and speed in a Cessna, look at the Encore.

The 500 series (350knts) airplanes are the basis for all in the series. The 501 is a SP setup of the 500. The 550 (II) (380 knts) is a stretched 500, the 551 being SP and limited to 12,500 lbs. The 550 Bravo (400 knts) improved the 550 with Honeywell Primus avionics and newer Pratt engines (535's ?), and trailing link gear. The 560 (415 knts) was another slight stretch as well as a cuffed wing. The Encore (560) (420 Knots) took the 560 and added a hot wing and trailing link gear as well as newer Pratts (PW 535). Now there is an Encore+ with FADEC and Proline 21. The red headed step child of the bunch was the S550. It took the II and added a cuffed wing with TKS deice (400 Knots). All the 500-560 airplanes except the Bravo and Encore used some version of the Pratt JT-15D engines.

Now the CitationJet (525) series airplanes (CJ, CJ1, CJ1+, CJ2, CJ2+, CJ3, and the soon to be CJ4) took all the good from the 500-560 airplanes and made them better and cheaper to operate using the Williams FJ44 engines, but that is another story.

Last edited:
I hear the CJ3 does, and the CJ4 most certainly will, outperform the Encore...don't have any experience to verify that, though.

Overhauling both of our JT15D-4s on our C-II cost about $650k three months back...I hear overhauling the PW530As on the Bravo is about double that.

If you look into a II, make sure it has the Branson mod that brings the gross weight up to 14,500. Without it, the II has a gross of 13,500. That means full fuel, 2 crew, and maybe 2 pax and you are at gross weight.

I hear the CJ3 does, and the CJ4 most certainly will, outperform the Encore...don't have any experience to verify that, though.

Overhauling both of our JT15D-4s on our C-II cost about $650k three months back...I hear overhauling the PW530As on the Bravo is about double that.

The CJ3 is a very strong performer. Direct climb to 450. 1800nm range and huge baggage compartment. the CJ3 beats the Encore+ in cabin size due to not having the wing spar running through the cabin. The Encore+ also still has a very small baggage compartment. The Encore beats the CJ3 in speed and useful load though. With the CJ4 coming on line the Encore will most likely be dropped.

True and also the TBO went up to 4000 hrs vs. i believe 3500 on the JT15D's. Probably still paying more for those new powerplants but they burn less than the JT15D's and the per hour reserve will help out a bit with a 4000 hr TBO....not much, but a bit. ;)

Last edited:
If you look into a II, make sure it has the Branson mod that brings the gross weight up to 14,500. Without it, the II has a gross of 13,500. That means full fuel, 2 crew, and maybe 2 pax and you are at gross weight.

What Mavrck says is true....for EARLY serial number II's.

Later II's had a gross weight increase to 14,300 or 14,400 that came direct from Cessna. If you get one of those you can use a service center.

At NBAA there was a guy that had a stc for putting Williams on a Citation II. I think there was a 40% increase in performance and a 40% decrease in fuel. Not too sure on the numbers but it seemed like a deal if you had an old Citation coming up on an expensive overhaul. They were in the process in getting the mod for the Citation V.

Latest resources

Back