Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

CelticCitation

Larry Wannabe
Just put our Early '80's C-550 in for the first Hot Section since we've owned it. As it already looks like it's going into the six figures, our DOM thinks we are running it too hard. We use the performance numbers from the book, minus half a percent so that we don't have to worry too much about it exceeding while we're not paying attention.

Question is, does anyone use power settings other than book settings to "go easy" on the engines? I'm still using all of it for take off, but wonder if there are other techniques to preserve turbofans.

I've heard that Tupperware is good for preserving things...

I think the cost is really dependent to how much time the engine truly has. Might be first hot since you have operated it, but are all the other components high time?
Previous owner might have gone the cheap route at overhaul, and used a bunch of "continued time" parts. So, now the piper comes due. And, usually these engines need a lot of parts the second time around anyway, just the design of the engine.

We run ours right up to 104% when we can. The poor old thing is slow enough with that power, pull her back and you will never get home!

Hung

Six figures is not unusual for a HSI, especially if it is for both engines. Those turbine blades don't come cheap.

Thanks all, tried tupperware, but it kept melting. I do like the burping sound on start up.

The higher you operate it the lower the temps will be. We also limit climb ITT to 640. This will help in the overhauls. Cruise at FL 370-390, less speed but lower temps.

Latest resources

Back