Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

PC12Cowboy

Berry Beery Bad
Ok so can you expain why someone would prefer the old doors to the new ones on the G2? I have a student looking really hard at them both......so please esplain:)

p.s. yes I can spell explain..LOL

Last edited:
How else are people supposed to know you spent 450 k on a new airplane instead of 250 k on a used one. BTW, its no bigger or faster than an 80 k 182t.

PC12Cowboy said:
Ok so can you expain why someone would orefer the old doors to the new ones on the G2? I have a student looking really hard at them both......so please esplain:)

Yes you can spell explain but can you spell prefer?

Well this is obviously lost to the flamers here..instead of good references to the operational differences.and complexitys...but then again....its just a bored board right

G1 vs. G2 doors..

I am a part-owner of a 2003 Cirrus SR-20. It's an all-electric with the 6-pack and Sandel HSI (great unit). On the 2003 SR-20s it was known as the "C" avionics package. In fact, I would recommend that set up vs. the PFD/MFD because if your PFD dies and it's out of warranty it costs $30,000-plus to replace it. If your friend decides to go with the all-electric 6-pack then he's going to be buying a G1-version, as Cirrus went all flat screens in 2004, I believe.

The door issue between the G1 (prior to about 2005) and G2 models (after that time) is one which I think is complete and utter BS. Some of the owners of the G1 Cirri cried about the doors (maybe because they couldn't find anything else to cry about) apparently because they thought the best way to close the door was to try to slam it shut then extend the pin by pushing the handle down to secure it. WRONG!!!

After flying our plane over 35 hours in the past six months, I have found that moving the handle into the "open" position (thus moving the pin inside the door), easily bring the door down until it's snug and then pushing the handle down to the close position and, voila'! the pin goes where it's supposed to in the door jamb it secures without any of the aforementioned crap. At times, the pin has to be adjusted, but that's usually only because someone tried to slam the door to close it before moving the handle to "open" (thus the pin is exposed), rather than doing it the easy way as described above.

If your friend is truly interested in a Cirrus, he should invest $50 and become a member of Cirrus Owners and Pilots Association (COPA). He will then have access to their site (www.cirruspilots.org) and be able to peruse the wealth of information there about Cirrus aircraft, much of it from owners like myself. He'll get different opinions on some issues and, like any internet bulletin board site, he should take all of those opinions with a lump of salt (as opposed to just a grain) and then develop his own opinion.

You're welcome to PM me if you have any other questions. Although we had some initial minor issues with the plane when we bought it used last winter, it's great, super comfortable, even in the back (especially for someone like me who is 6'4 and a doughnut shy of 240) and well-built. We all want a SR-22 and we'll probably move up once the two guys in the club who aren't IFR get their tickets.

Last edited:
PC12Cowboy said:
Ok so can you expain why someone would prefer the old doors to the new ones on the G2? I have a student looking really hard at them both......so please esplain:)

The G2 doors have been having problems with keeping closed. You basically have to slam the new doors...whereas the old doors have a locking handle mechanism. G2 doors have two different locks on the door frame that have to "click" shut when they pass a small bar. With the door as flexible as it is somehow one of the locks never seems to catch. There is an easy way to close the door though...put your arm-elbow on the armrest and with the opposite arm pull the door both down and in. It should get it almost every time. Some doors are worse than others.

New doors = Easier to open & no scratching from the handle because of push-button system

Old doors = Scratch doors easily but lock themselves when closing.

Feel free to PM me as well...I have several hundred hours of instruction in both the 20 and 22.

Last edited:
ISaidRightTurns said:
BTW, its no bigger or faster than an 80 k 182t.

I'm curious, when was the last time you had a 182T up to 185 KTAS? What was the fuel flow?

Fly SAFE!
Jedi Nein

With the glass, Avidyne offers an extended warranty on both units for something like $1000 per year. Compared to $35,000 if a unit needs to be replaced out of warranty, most of my clients think the extended is a bargain.

I know an SR20G1 that is about to hit the market in California. PM or email me if your client is interested. No, I'm not getting a cut of the action, either.

Fly SAFE!
Jedi Nein

JediNein said:
I'm curious, when was the last time you had a 182T up to 185 KTAS? What was the fuel flow?

Heh - no kidding. I've seen 165 out of a Turbo 182, but I had to be on supplemental oxygen to do it. The cabin isn't nearly as wide as an SR-22 either. The back seat passengers might have more legroom in the 182 though - I don't know.

JediNein said:

Fly SAFE!
Jedi Nein

I was wondering the same thing too? What type of 182 must he have been flying to get SR-22 speeds.

Latest resources

Back