Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

generaltso

Marcy Projects
If you are on a circling approach do you do the missed approach procedure for the runway you shot the approach or the one you are landing on?

For instance if you are doing ILS circle to a runway that has another ILS.

You do the missed approach procedure for the specific approach and runway that is on the plate. Not the runway you actually land on if it is a different one.

So what do you do after breaking off, in the circle procedure and somehow you get into the muck again. Just keep the missed course dialed in on the OBS and go get it?

You turn toward the runway associated with the approach and join the missed approach procedure.

No. You make a turn toward the airport, intercept the missed appch course and fly it out.

Fly the published missed approach for the approach you flew. If you need to make a large heading change, due to landing on a different runway, turn toward the center of the airport as you make the turn. Sometimes that will mean turning the long way around, but that will ensure you stay in protected airspace. There's no official guidance on when you will need to do that- it's primarily a judgement call. Just remember that TERPS criteria for the missed are predicated on beginning the missed approach before starting a circle. If you need to miss after that, it's up to you to stay in protected airspace until you are on the missed approach segment.

Sorry TB, you and I were typing at the same time. I think we said the same thing.

Missed it by that much!

It's a good question, but my question is why are you circling in the first place?

These approaches are inherently dangerous and should not be conducted in jet aircraft in weather less than 1000/3. If you're going to maneuver in VMC then the wx ought to be VFR or better. Heroics won't help you to reach retirement.

surplus1 said:
It's a good question, but my question is why are you circling in the first place?

These approaches are inherently dangerous and should not be conducted in jet aircraft in weather less than 1000/3. If you're going to maneuver in VMC then the wx ought to be VFR or better. Heroics won't help you to reach retirement.

Because at airports like MDW there is no instrument approach for runway 22L/R, which at times is favored by the winds. A circling approach is required by all jet aircraft. Better that then landing with a 15-20 knot tailwind, no?

Just over a week ago I flew a 3-day trip, and all but the very last of my landings was after a circling approach. That's 6 circles from an ILS, and one straight in ILS. Normal operations...

Last edited:

Latest posts

Latest resources

Back