Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
S

Skychief

Lets say you did the VOR to RWY 36 circle to land RWY 18. When you are established on final for RWY 18, you lose sight of the runway and have to execute the MAP. For arguments sake, lets say the MAP required you to fly outbound on the VOR 360 radial and the VOR is located on the field. It is my understanding that you would climb to the MDA (if you had already started your descent) and then turn in the direction in which you circled to intercept the VOR 360 radial (in essence a 180 or more turn). Once established on the 360 radial, you would fly the published MAP.

Does this sound correct? I am asking because this is such an extreme situation. Am I missing anything in there?

Skychief

Sounds correct to me. But you would of course climb to the MAP altitude, not the MDA. You want to join the MAP off the VOR 36.

You need to look at the information provided for that airport. If the airport has specific instructions, such as "circiling east prohibited," you would have made the circle on the approach to runway 36 to the left...when circling to runway 18. While approaching rwy 18 on final, when executing a go-around, climb straight ahead toward the landing runway. Don't make any turns until climbing at least through MDA, but keep your climb going, and be sure if you're turning back to the VOR to get established, it's a right turn...west of the airport.

Or....climb straight to MDA, level off to accelerate to maneuvering speed before reaching 1.3 nm beyond the end of 18 (assuming cat A), then a rapid pull-up so as to reverse course in a half loop and half roll to roll out on 360 and on the 360 radial.

If I understand your question right....

Assume while turning final to RWY18 you somehow lost sight. You would climb to your your MDA first on the runway heading 180. Then start a turn into the direction of the missed approach prcedure to reintercept the missed app. radial what ever that may be. Avbug also is correct in saying make sure there isn't a special procedure for circling. Hope this helps.

... then a rapid pull-up so as to reverse course in a half loop and half roll to roll out on 360 and on the 360 radial.

If I did that, my attitude gyro would tumble.

nosehair said:
Or....climb straight to MDA, level off to accelerate to maneuvering speed before reaching 1.3 nm beyond the end of 18 (assuming cat A), then a rapid pull-up so as to reverse course in a half loop and half roll to roll out on 360 and on the 360 radial.

I prefer the Split-S, it's more exciting for the passengers and the people on the ground. It's best when you pull out low enough that your passage disturbs the blades of grass as you pass.

Again, within the limitations that apply specifically to your situation. Remember, grass disturbance is a felony in Ohio.

It's simpler than that. Turn in the shortest direction to join the little dashed line that depicts the missed approach course. As you do that, climb as per the missed approach instructions and join the missed approach course. So long as you are at or above circling mins, you shouldn't hit anything. Follow any special instructions, although those are very few and far between.

So long as you are at or above circling mins, you shouldn't hit anything.

Shouldn't hit anything? Is you life worth a shouldn't, or a won't?

Circling minimums apply to the protected radius for the particular category of approach, within any limitations that apply to that proceedure or airport.

Latest posts

Latest resources

Back