• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Circling FLL in a king air this morning

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Yes it was KingAir and the gear did finally come down.Landed with no problem.

Rattler71

Co-pilot guides plane to safe landing
She managed to get back on the ground after the landing gear failed to retract.

emailfriend.gif
E-mail this article
miniprint.gif
Printer friendly version
mmi-documentgallery.gif
Most e-mailed articles

[font=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica][size=-2]RELATED STORIES[/size][/font]
spacer.gif
spacer.gif
[font=Arial, Helvetica]
story.gif
2 pilots' drinking trial gets under way
May 18, 2005
[/font]
spacer.gif
utility-bottomleftcorner.gif
spacer.gif
utility-bottomrightcorner.gif
spacer.gif
spacer.gif
spacer.gif

clear.gif
.cbjoblisting {text-decoration: none; margin-top:6px; font-weight: bold; color: #036;} .cbjoblisting A:link {color: #515190; text-decoration: underline;} .cbjoblisting A:visited {color: #006; text-decoration: underline;} .cbjoblisting A:hover {color: #C00;text-decoration: none;} .cblinks {text-decoration: none; font-weight: bold;} .cblinks A:link {color: #C00; text-decoration: underline;} .cblinks A:visited {color: #006; text-decoration: underline;} .cblinks A:hover {color: #FF7b30;text-decoration: none;}
topjobs.gif

MEDICAL BILLER
AESTHETIC DERMATOLOGY
SALES
Aurelius Consulting Group, Inc
NURSE MA
Med Alternative of America
ALF ADMINISTRATOR
Donegan Square Villas
NETWORK TECHNICIAN
ADS TELECOM, INC

» Search Jobs
» Post your resume
» Post a job

[font=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Advertisement[/font]
300X250.gif
By Brian Haas | South Florida Sun-Sentinel
Posted May 18, 2005

FORT LAUDERDALE -- When the landing gear failed on Monica Mejia's plane Tuesday morning, her thoughts turned to her 9-month-old son.

"I was thinking about him. I was really thinking," said Mejia, 26, who couldn't bear to complete her thought. "But I knew God was going to take us out of this situation."

Mejia was co-pilot for a private company on a Beechcraft King Air 200 carrying five people from Fort Lauderdale-Hollywood International Airport to Nassau in the Bahamas for a business trip. The pilot would not comment about the flight or even give his name.

The trip didn't get far.

They took off about 8:45 a.m., but the landing gear wouldn't retract. The pilot headed to nearby Fort Lauderdale Executive Airport and circled while he and Mejia tried to manually work the landing gear into place.

Mejia said it was scary, but she kept her cool.

"This was challenging. It's the lives of our passengers; they're relying on us," Mejia said. "No one panicked. The tower was great."

Word about the plane spread quickly throughout the airport. About 15 workers gathered near the air-traffic control tower to watch the landing.

The plane flew by the tower several times -- just a few hundred feet off the ground -- so air-traffic controllers could get a look at its ailing landing gear. On one pass, the plane jerked up and down as the pilot tried to shake the landing gear into place.

The approach just before 10 a.m. was different. The plane grew on the horizon, floating lower to the ground. As it passed over the runway, it slowly glided down to the tarmac.

The landing was picture-perfect. Some observers clapped before they all walked back to work.

Mejia's company declined to provide details about its operations or passengers. Mejia said no one was hurt. She said her company, Air Ship, worked out of the airport.

Inspectors with the Federal Aviation Administration were investigating the matter, said Kathleen Bergman, spokeswoman for the agency in Atlanta.

After the tense flight, Mejia was happy to be back on the ground.

"I need to relax right now," she said.

N512KA- Thought that plane was owned by Clyde and Execstar (or what used to be Execstar). But it couldn't of been doing a flight to the Bahamas cause Execstar was sut down by the Feds a couple months ago. hmmmmmmm

I heard Clyde was trying to start some 134.5 operation. This sounds like it was his maintenance.

It became very clear that the crew didn't know how the systen worked, and a mechanic finally talked them through pumping the gear down. If I were them I would be very embarrassed.

According to the news I was watching, they first had to "dump fuel" before returning to the airport. :rolleyes:

LAXSaabdude.

512KA used to be one of Clyde's Rides, but not any more. It is flown by his former CP for another owner. I know the f/o, I had no idea she was a pilot. They interviewed both pilots, the capt. said "we had a problem, we fixed it, and landed safely" but she went on and on about her kids and so on......

There's more to this than meets the eye. Hell, it was a Clyde Ride at one point. The "CP" Eric, a "student" of Clyde's recklessness was running a 134.5 operation with this plane.

Latest resources

Back