Cincinnati

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

RichO

Where are the nice places to live in Cincinnati? Also, where are the convenient places to live that most of the Comair folks live, or have crash pads?

Most people live over in Boone County, KY....I believe (but don't quote me) this includes towns like Covington, Florence, Hebron, etc....Northern KY is actually quite nice and very cheap as far as cost of living is concerned.

On the first day of class a lady will come in and talk about discounts at local appartment complexes. I found a crash pad that gives me my own room in a 4bdr, 2.5 bath house about 10 min from the Airport for $290/month. If you don't mind sharing, then that price would be cut in half. Typical crash pads range from 150-300$ depending on what you're looking at. the lower end would be room sharing and the upper would be own room/bathroom, etc. Without a problem, though, you'll be able to find something furnished and all the utilities taken care of by someone else....you just pay a flat fee.

If you want to buy a house in the area, i've seen some really nice looking houses advertised in the 100-150k range. If you want your own appartment, a high end 2bdr/2bath will run you 750-800$/month at the local complexes....prices go down from there.

Hope that helps a little.

A friend of mine is buiding a house for 160k about 15 minutes SW of the airport. They're building a new N/S runway on the west side of the airport, mind you. My bud did some research at the library and got a hold of the environmental impact statement to make sure he built off the arr/dep routes.

As PR stated, apts are nice and not too costly. My friend is currently in a 1 br pretty good sized place for 600. Remember, your 1st week is on the company! ....wish all of training was...oh well, just thankful to have a job.....sometime soon; I'm getting waterlogged!

I believe it's the Holiday Inn, but I'm not sure. There are a few hotels that have company discounts where you can stay for as little as $25/nite I think. Somebody who'se currently in training will be able to give a better picture.

The current crew hotel is the Radisson Riverfront (859) 491-1200. It's a nice place....after the company stops picking up the tab, they'll let you stay for 41$/night.

The Radisson is a decent place, and the location (short walk to the Main Strasse) is good too. However, I recommend you avoid the top story revolving restaurant for anything other than the view. Chow is over priced (even with discount), the help is incompetent, and the food is mediocre.

There are at least six places to eat within a short walk that are far superior, excepting of course, the view.

You can also charge up to $250 of additional room expenses to your payroll account, though you need to arrange it with HR first. If you need a few extra days in the hotel it's a painless way to do it.

Early check-in can be arranged with the hotel. You get a week, you can start that week a day or so early.

Good luck.

Hey guys, thanks for the info.....if there is any other info about the whole Comair gig in Cinn feel free to pass it along. I'm at the stage of thinking about where to stay while I'm there...and for reserve of course.....

PS...hey ty737 I interviewed on the 7th of May....did you fly for Suncountry?

Another thing you might want to consider is getting a place outside Boone County. Boone County has a 1% payroll tax that the other nearby counties don't. Granted, 1% of first-year wages isn't much, but every little bit helps.

Consider networking with your classmates during the first week of class, while you're staying in the company-provided hotel room. Three or four of you can get together and lease a two-bedroom apartment for around $600-$650/mo. During your first day of class, there may be a representative from an apartment locating service there. Some complexes offer discounts to Comair pilots.

You should consider avoiding Covington unless you're familiar with that area. It's pretty urban, old, and run down in most parts of town. Florence and Hebron are pretty nice, and close to the airport, although both of those towns are in Boone County. Erlanger is five minutes from the employee parking lot, if you time the stoplights properly and is in Kenton County where you won't have to pay the extra payroll tax in most parts of the town, except for the extreme Western end, which is in Boone County. Erlanger is a little older than Florence, but is considerably more livable than most parts of Covington, which is also in Kenton County, contrary to what was posted earlier.

Remember that the Cincinnati's airport is actually located in Kentucky. There are areas of Cincinnati that are nice, I'm sure, but while you're on reserve you'll probably want to live as close to the airport as you can.

Latest resources

Back