CIA or FBI jobs?

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

hatchettjack

I haven't done too much digging but does anybody know about flying for the CIA or FBI or know where I can get some information.
Thanks.

I don't know about CIA.

I looked into FBI a few years ago. The short answer is you need to get hired as a Special Agent with the FBI, go through the academy and serve as a regular agent for awhile (2 - 4 years I think). Then you can bid any open flying spots they may have.

I just had two FBI pilots in my Caravan Flight Safety class. They may be changing the hiring policy to hire pilots from the outside (don't hold your breath) because it is hard to get qualified applicants from within. One guy told a story of some lucky SOB that went from a C182 to a Gulfstream!

The way it is right now, you become an agent, and then bid on flying positions after you put in your time. It is possible that a flying position will never become available while you are there.

FlightTraker

Not too sure about the FBI or CIA. I can tell you about the DOJ and DEA... Both require you to become a field agent first (for 3 years), then you bid on the aviation division. You might get it, you might not.

They fly around in 182's/ 206's, and a few KA 200's

The vast majority of people who fly in the FBI do it as a secondary to thier main job of being an agent. The aviation skills are used only as they pertain to the investigation being conducted.

It is far tougher to get a spot in the FBI than you might think, worry about the flying part after you get in. Your first priority is being a SA, flying, if any would be secondary.

Flightracker,

I know the pilots at the FBI flying the Gulfstream. I can tell you there has never been someone coming off C-182's into the fleet.

All of this has changed within this past year for all government agencies covered by the homeland security act. I've trained a few border partol guys here in Del Rio who were then sucked up by customes. BP use to only hire from within like the FBI and everyone else. However with the ability to shift resources where needed they are changing that role. To be a pilot for the border patrol you need to only have 250hrs TT and some senority. My two guys are getting the job with 250hrs TT. Starting out at $76k flying super cubs. According to them US Customs(which now includes BP) along with the other branches have opened up to civilians. I think they require ATP to submit but I could be wrong on that one. I know BP and Customs has already opened to the public.

Latest resources

Back