• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Chuck Norris, Naval Aviator

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
I hear the BUFF guys keep a korean lady in the ol tail position to press uniforms and ascots so the boyz look preeety after a greulling 20 hour mission...

But some still wear them. This one time, at "SandCamp(ok, DeigoGarcia)," we were in a combined mess facility(cafeteria) and a bunch of Buff guys roll in with pressed flt suits and ascots. So us Navy guys, always wanting to be like our AF brothers, grabbed the pastel colored table napkins and matched them ascot for ascot. A flustered Maj came over and demanded we take them off. Haha! Mom...!! The Navy guys are mocking us!!!!
We were "reprimanded" by our CO....I guess somebody tattle-taled up the chain of command. Classic.

RM

I'm embarrased they didn't hurl some insults or throw some punches as a minimum. Anyone who lets themselves get called out like that deserves to be made fun of.

Adler,

Navy has caught up with times. We no longer refer to it as the "RAG". I guess some PC admirals didn't think it sounded appropriate for our female counterparts to be walking around saying thinks like:

"I start the RAG next month"
or
"Man, the RAG sucks"
or
"My RAG was 2 weeks longer than most"
or
"I hate the RAG"

We've shifted to the more benign FRS (Fleet Replacement Squadron). Pretty lame if you ask me. Bring back the RAG!!!

PS
I like your scarves/ascots... goes well with a purse. As far as saving space in our lockers... you're right. I finally have enough room to put my lucky cowboy hat in there. I wear that thing to every mission brief and to every beach volleyball game.

Sensitive PC P-3 types don't use the term "RAG." It's still very much alive in the pointy nose community. In fact I don't think I've ever heard anyone refer to it as the "FRS."

Got a good story about some F-15 types and their ironed flight suits, but thats for another day.

Last edited:
Calling it a scarf doesn't make it more cool.

True - however, I never said it did. Just pointing out that the only people I've heard call them "ascots" are Navy guys poking fun. Unfortunately, wearing them sometimes gets emphasis from above if the Wing CC, etc has gotten his standard O-6/O-7 lobotomy. No fighter pilots I know wear them willingly.

As far as "pressed flight suits". I've never taken an iron to one yet. I think what you may be seeing is the result of someone using this thing called a "hanger" after washing it.

If you ball it up and put it in the bottom of your locker, it looks more "Navy" and might seem more familiar to you. I'll take our way any day. The AF views the bag as an actual uniform and in exchange for not looking like a dirt bag when we wear it, we get to wear it anytime - not just when we fly.

Having to change into a utility uniform like khakis or winter blues when you're done flying or not on the flight schedule is hardly worth being able to look like sh!t in a flight suit.

Cheers dudes!
P.S. No matter what you look like, I still respect the sh!t out of you guys. 6 months+ cruises are a big sacrifice and we're lucky to have real pros who are willing to do it. 35 days on FFG-5 when I was a midshipman (before I saw the light ;) ) was enough to earn my respect.

We also have the Navy to thank for the flight suit side "pockets" with the zipper we had to endure in the mid-90's.

As far as "pressed flight suits". I've never taken an iron to one yet. I think what you may be seeing is the result of someone using this thing called a "hanger" after washing it.

It's not about hanging it up and keeping it presentable. It's about the hyd fluid, fuel, catapult grease, random black sh!t, that keeps it from being an "off base" uniform. I haven't had khaki's on in 7 months, however I can't wear my flight suit to a bar in town either. Although I think hanging out in town in uniform saying "look at me" is kinda retarded. (being on the road not withstanding)

It's not about hanging it up and keeping it presentable. It's about the hyd fluid, fuel, catapult grease, random black sh!t, that keeps it from being an "off base" uniform. I haven't had khaki's on in 7 months, however I can't wear my flight suit to a bar in town either. Although I think hanging out in town in uniform saying "look at me" is kinda retarded. (being on the road not withstanding)

Sig, why in the hell would you wear your flight suit to a bar in town in the first place? I guess that's possibly a standard in the Navy...I can garauntee you no aviator worth his salt in the Air Force does that garbage. "Hey guys let's go hit happy hour downtown in our flight suits right after the debrief...sound good?" Yeah right - YGBSM. "Kinda retarded??" Try completely gay! Secondly, keep your catapult grease all you want...I still agree with Adler - it is a professional uniform and therefore keep it that way. Obviously after a sortie you'll have sweat in it, however if you're getting hyd fluid and grease all over it, you might want to recheck what exactly you're doing. You sound more like a backshop mechanic than an aviator. Walk arounds really that bad in the Navy huh??

Secondly, keep your catapult grease all you want...I still agree with Adler - it is a professional uniform and therefore keep it that way. Obviously after a sortie you'll have sweat in it, however if you're getting hyd fluid and grease all over it, you might want to recheck what exactly you're doing. You sound more like a backshop mechanic than an aviator. Walk arounds really that bad in the Navy huh??

Yeah, I wasn't talking about wearing the thing to some bar or whatever. O-club, to/from base, daily duties (flying or not), etc.
Scrap - Unless things have changed, the Navy does not consider the bag a uniform like the AF does. I'll let Sig explain if he wouldn't mind. Last I knew they had some kind of rules about wearing it when you don't fly.
Sig - do you wear it daily regardless of your duties that day or is it a "I'm flying today, so I wear it" kind of thing?

7 months is a long time to go without the khakis - I gotcha beat though. 20 years this month and I NEVER went to work in anything but a bag. Blues for an hour here or there to get a medal or kiss some a$$ - but never a whole day. Maybe 6 hours out of the green bag in 20 years - not bad.

Latest resources

Back