Christmas gift ideas for our troops?

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

AV80R

A few days ago I received this email (excerpt below) and it looks very legit to me but nowadays with internet scammers, email phishing, spoofing, etc. you just never know. I know I sound very ignorant right now but could someone familiar with those issues tell me if “Paralyzed Veterans of America is a real organization?

Well, my girlfriend and I decided to spend our Christmas money on “Someone Special” instead of “more things we don’t need” this year and I must say it feels great! I would like to help but I’d rather send my money to a true cause than to a scam artist. This email looks very legit to me and I probably should know more about this organization than I do, but the truth is - I don’t.

Also, I’ve called a local VA hospital asking them for some advice on how we could “brighten” a soldier’s Christmas but they keep forwarding my calls to different departments and I always end up with someone’s “voice mail.” I‘m sure they're very busy and I thought that maybe I could find some good advice here?

Christmas is coming and we’d like to be able to show at least a few of our heroes some appreciation - so what's your suggestion?

NOTE! PLEASE - No Pro- or Anti-War Rhetoric – I’m just trying to get some advice here, that’s all.

Sincerely,
av80r

"Dear…,
I will keep this email very brief because I know how busy you must be during this time of year.
A few weeks ago, Sgt. Jason Wittling, U.S. Marine Corps (Ret.), told you his story about how he became paralyzed for life while defending our nation. We asked if you might consider making a special donation to the Year-End Gift Drive to help paralyzed vets during this holiday season.
If this reminder and your donation have crossed in cyberspace, please accept my thanks. But if you haven’t made a gift online to our veterans, perhaps you could do so right now?
(…)
You see, your gift to PVA is more than a donation it’s a way to pay homage and respect to something very unique about America. It’s so important in these troubling times, when America’s enemies seek to do us harm, to stand up and be counted. And that’s what your gift will do. Please show your special patriotism, your belief in honor, and commitment to American duty and sacrifice.
Will you please make a gift today of $25.00 or more to help our brave veterans today, during this urgent time of need? Less than 17 days are left in this holiday season. Please take a moment now to honor our veterans for their tremendous gifts to our nation.
Happy Holidays and thank you for your support.
Warmest Wishes,

Delatorro L. McNeal
PVA Executive Director"

Last edited:
If you want to donate to the military, my suggestion is to send it to a Fisher House (one located at most military bases with large hospitals). They are a military version of the Ronald McDonald House where family of sick/injured military members can stay for free. Outstanding organization helping the most needy members of our military.

Terp737 said:
If you want to donate to the military, my suggestion is to send it to a Fisher House (one located at most military bases with large hospitals). They are a military version of the Ronald McDonald House where family of sick/injured military members can stay for free. Outstanding organization helping the most needy members of our military.
How about we just pitch in to get them all a 1 way ticket back State-side

Terp737 said:

Also you can go to the post office and buy phone cards ($10) each in honor of someone you know and they send them to the troops from your state!
I did one for my niece in Korea and one for my nephew in the gulf.

Dave B

Thanks!

There were several great replies here before they were “lost” in the big Flightinfo.com cleanup.

Thanks for all great suggestions, we settled for the http://www.woundedwarriorproject.org and the http://www.injuredsoldiers.net. Thanks for all the advice!

Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year to you all.
av80r

“HawkerF/O – How about we just pitch in to get them all a 1 way ticket back State-side”

I guess you missed the request for advice only please?

NOTE! PLEASE - No Pro- or Anti-War Rhetoric – I’m just trying to get some advice here, that’s all.
Sincerely,
av80r

A good gift??

Oh I don't know, maybe bring them home from the lie that the were sent into?

Send criminal Bush to fight his war.
Send the murderer called Bush to die for his country
Send idiot Bush to bet his life on faulty intelligence.

Merry Christmas.

I would suggest the Fisher House or the Phone cards. My brother heads over there in Jan/Feb. So much for the Political Rhetoric huh? Merry Christmas and God Bless our troops at home and abroad.

Latest resources

Back