• Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

dnkt

http://i43.photobucket.com/albums/e392/christopher_92/coexemb1704vd.jpg

CAL MEC Chairman’s Update (partial)
August 9, 2006

Fellow Pilots,

I want to clear the air on the New Small Narrow Body Jets discussions, let you know about our Variable Contribution to the pilot’s 401(k), and remind you of Mock 6 PBS bid during the August for September bid period.

First, let me provide a clarification on my letter regarding the flying of New Small Narrow body Jets. When I wrote the letter to you last week, I was operating under the premise that the pilots expected me to be completely transparent regarding the issues that the MEC is working on. Last week’s letter to the pilot group referenced information necessary for you to keep apprised of this important issue prior to polling in the weeks ahead.

It is my belief that it’s not my place to share my personal views on an issue as part of an official union publication. I'll break with that practice this one time: I firmly believe that if anyone is to fly any jets with more than 50 seats for Continental Airlines, it should be pilots on the Continental Airlines seniority list.

I also need to clarify just what the stance is that your MEC and MEC Officers have taken on the issue. The MEC's reply to management was one sentence: We are not interested at this time. There are two important points in that sentence. First, we're not interested in any discussions as the company portrayed them. Period. Second, we're not interested at this time, because should the company desire to approach your MEC with an offer for the Continental Pilots to fly these aircraft, well of course we're interested.

As a final point on the New Small Narrow Body Jets issue, there has been some question about why we would even bother polling the pilots on such an issue. While the MEC's position is clear - the Continental Pilots should fly any new jets over 50 seats - the pilots of Continental Airlines voted by almost 99% to have a vote on any issue that substantially affected their pay and/or work rules. We, the MEC, are soliciting your input on an issue that could certainly affect your lifestyle - just as you told us to do.

Last edited:
You expect a bunch of former scabs, who couldn't stop themselves from crossing a picket line, to hold the line on scope?
Oh please! XJT Alpa is stronger than CO Alpa!!

Sooner or later, that photo will be a reality!

TAWS said:
Sooner or later, that photo will be a reality!

CAL is evolving into a younger pilot group with much stronger opinions on this matter. If CAL is just a bunch of scabs who don't care, then how do you think they have held on to their scope this long?

Last edited:
SkyBoy1981 said:
CAL is evolving into a younger pilot group with much stronger opinions on this matter. If CAL is just a bunch of scabs who don't care, then how do you think they have held on to their scope this long?

I don't doubt that they are changing, but the fact that they stayed out of chpt 11 helped the pilots hold onto scope. With the growing popularity of the E170 family, helped along by weakened scope, I find it hard to believe that CO mngt will turn a blind eye to 70 seaters. They may not be in chpt 11, but they will find a way to divert the attention of the pilot group away from scope just long enough to take advantage. If they don't, I will be very surprised! By the way, I have friends that fly for XJT and wish them well throughout this.

TAWS said:
I find it hard to believe that CO mngt will turn a blind eye to 70 seaters. .

Oh, they won't turn a blind eye to it. But there is no reason for the CAL pilots to agree to let this flying be done by a regional airline. I think they know better. CAL can take part in the 70 seat market, but they can and should pay their own pilots to do it.

They wont give in. They learned last time when they gave up scope and 275 ERJs where ordered :eek: . Hopefully they learned the first time.

Latest resources

Back