CHQ vs. MESA

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Cadillac said:
Pending the outcome of the America West/USair merger, all newhires may be furloughed in a 5-1 ratio for acquired J4J mid-atlantic pilots.

Can you explain to us how hiring J4J captains would result in furloughs?

Buck

ricketmt said:
E170GuppykillerCome join us at CHQ, you'll love the 170 and soon to be 190. It's the coolest jet out there by far!

I sometimes am sad to say I work for CHQ when I read crap like this. Most of the FO's that are put on the 170 have a twisted perspective.

An example: My crew got a van ride with a 170 crew on an overnight. 170 Captain and my captain know each other talking cordially. The 170 FO asks "So how come you haven't upgraded to the 170" Captain explains that he lives in STL and likes the 145, no commute, quality of life, etc... FO says "That's good because I've been on this thing for like 6 months, and I wouldn't want you to bump me back from my upgrade, besides you probably wouldn't know what to do in this thing anyway."
ys
WTF Right. Well to me you are just like that guy. It is really embarrassing to have to work with people like this, so I hope he does grow up and gets a little respect.

I'm sure that's exactly how it went. Most of us "twisted perspective" FO's have flown for other 121 carriers prior and have been furloughed before. I wouldn't call all of the former Independence and ACA guys "twisted." These matters were out of our control. You just have to go with your gut when it comes to picking a company with growth potential. If someone did say this I guarantee you he wasn't someone who has prior 121 experience. I hardly believe this was said the way you have stated that it was.

sleddriver77 said:
I've always thought it was kinda funny the way some CHQ 170 F/O's like to look down their nose (if you'll pardon the expression) at the CHQ 145 F/O's. Iot's like "how's life in the LITTLE airplane??" They of course have the prerequisite ATP minimums, and assume that those of us in the 145 do not. We didn't HAVE 170's when 75% of the 145 F/O's were hired. Apparently, these assbags don't realize that 90% of the 145 F/O's are senior to 100% of the 170 F/O's, and we make the same money. Oh yeah, let's not forget; with the 145 being slowly phased out in favor of an all 170 type fleet, every ONE 145 we remove delays their upgrade by TEN people. Food for thought.

That's a nice way to talk about your fellow employees.

I do apologize for over generalizing with the word "most". Most all of our pilots are good guys despite their backgrounds. I used one specific example because of a Flamebait from Guppykiller that reminded me of that specific instance.

I do assure you that this is a true story. We all thought he was kidding at first. When he didn't laugh or smile, we were clued in that he might be kindof a c-ck. You can imagine the dead air the rest of the van ride.

But I digress. "Most" of the guys that fly the 170 are good guys and some gals that have solid backgrounds and seem to be a good bunch. All groups have some bad apples and I was just illustrating a point at Guppykiller who I really doubting works for CHQ. That guy needs to grow up, or at least get kicked in the head.

RP170 said:
That's a nice way to talk about your fellow employees.

RP170??? I didn't strike a nerve, did I??? :rolleyes: Notice I said SOME 170 guys... most are allright.

ricketmt said:
I do apologize for over generalizing with the word "most". Most all of our pilots are good guys despite their backgrounds. I used one specific example because of a Flamebait from Guppykiller that reminded me of that specific instance.

I do assure you that this is a true story. We all thought he was kidding at first. When he didn't laugh or smile, we were clued in that he might be kindof a c-ck. You can imagine the dead air the rest of the van ride.

But I digress. "Most" of the guys that fly the 170 are good guys and some gals that have solid backgrounds and seem to be a good bunch. All groups have some bad apples and I was just illustrating a point at Guppykiller who I really doubting works for CHQ. That guy needs to grow up, or at least get kicked in the head.

Agreed. Well said.

I have to admit, I'd never stereotype these guys, but my first impression of a 170 F/O wasn't the greatest.

I walked down the jetway during training to check it out, one of the first on the property. The F/O just smirked and said to me:
"Oh, you're on the 145?"
ME- "yup, pretty excited to be starting, how do you like the 170??"
Him- "Ahh, it's great...(looks around the cabin)..this is how the better half lives at this place."
Didn't stutter.

I briefly considered throwing him off of the "better half's" jetway but I figured that wouldn't do much for my upcoming training.

Most others are just fine. Rotten apple's in every bunch.

T-Hawk

That's a shame guys are acting that way. I know what it's like to not be flying the latest and greatest aircraft a company owns. Many of the CRJ pilots at ACA used to act like they flew the space shuttle and would look down on us J41 guys. It's the same anyplace you go that has more than one aircraft type.

I was hoping to be placed on the 145 at CHQ since I live in Orlando but was told they would only offer me the 170. Now I have to commute on the 170. I'm envious of the guys that get to fly the 145 in MCO and FLL. I can only pray for a Florida base on the 170 now. Anyone want to swap aircraft? :)

Last edited:
RP170 said:
Many of the CRJ pilots at ACA used to act like they flew the space shuttle and would look down on us J41 guys. It's the same anyplace you go that has more than one aircraft type.

You've got THAT right. It's almost always an FO that has that attitude, and it's almost always a relatively NEW FO at that.

Latest resources

Back