CHQ SF-340 / WestAir E120

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

JBcrjca

I was at Victorville CA today, and was surprised to see an ex-CHQ Saab stored on the main ramp. N128CH, one of the two original Saabs in the fleet. A shop foreman told me that the CHQ pilot that picked the airplane up in Sweden back in '88 was the same guy that flew it to storage at VCV. I climbed in, sat in the cockpit...it looks pretty clean, like it was well cared for.
There are about 10 or 11 EMB-120s stored at VCV, including some old ex-WestAir birds. Some of them, N275UE for example, haven't moved in over 4 years. The original UAX paint has faded to a nasty new color scheme. Ship 275 probably won't ever fly again...it's been sold, and the new owner will most likely sell the engines and part-out the airframe. Four of them are slated to be broken up. A sad ending for such cool airplanes...but nobody wants turboprops anymore. On a brighter note, 3 or 4 other E120s are being prepped for a new owner in Africa. Now THAT would be an interesting ferry trip.
If any CHQ or WestAir guys want a pic of 128 or 275, send me a PM...I can email one to ya.

The worst part about visiting VCV is the sheer number of jets parked there. It gives a you a rather grim outlook on the health of the airline industry. There are hundreds of UAL/DAL 727s, UAL 737-200s, DAL/ATA/KHA L-1011s, Tower B747s, etc. Those old birds are due for retirement I guess, but the disturbing part is this: 17 UAL 747-400s parked, several UAL 767-200s, random MD-80s, 10+ ex-TWA 717s (some with engines missing), a National 757, etc. With that many jets sitting idle, it's no wonder why there are thousands of guys on furlough right now. I sure hope things get better soon and a bunch of jets are pulled from storage, putting crews back to work. But it's the end of the line for the jurassic jets, most will be scrapped... I saw some 727 cockpit seats and pallets of coach seats in a hangar. I'm thinking I need a capt or FO seat for the living room. I wonder how much $??

If you want to see the interior of an additional two dozen ex-CHQ Saabs sometime, I invite you to visit FWA sometime...

They're pretty well cared for now, too, thanks to Shuttle America maintenance. :)

Saab's

Yes the interiors of the "well cared for Saabs" are quite a site. I would also invite anyone to sit in the cockpit of one of these back wrenching, "saab a$$", chiropractics' dream aircraft. No doubt that A/C is in good shape probably because it's being prepped for sale. If the cabin stynch on a summer afternoon doesn't get you then the concrete pillar like jump seat will. I'm not complaining because my backside feels just fine sitting in the left seat. :D
I just can't wait for the next aircraft to complain about. Having fun, fly safe.

Hey, at the very least, they are in better shape than when their prior owners had them. Of that much I have little doubt!

Latest resources

Back