CHQ Rumor no longer

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
low-key said:
SEFlyer, you my friend are what they call a moron. Youre ridiculous posts on these message boards are ludicrious pieces of flame bait. Do you even work at the airlines or have any clue what is going on to be making assumptions and vague ideals as to how things work. CHQ is a fixed cost for DL. Know what youre talking about before you speak
If you would read any other message boards besides FlightInfo, you'd surely know all the airlines I have worked for in the past, including my current one. If you're going by whats on the profile, it hasn't been updated in about 3 years... My post was not flamebait, its a fact that Delta is shopping for a new regional. Mesa is bidding on it. What will happen is all Delta's decision, not mine, not Mesa's, not CHQs. All I'm saying is that Mesa can do it for cheaper than many of the other regionals including, CHQ, and using my deductive reasoning, all Delta wants to do right now is stay out of Ch. 11, thus going with the lowest bidder. Kind of like the government, who cares how well its done, as long as its cheap...

Actually DAL is very happy with CHQ. I do have friends in ATL. Look for CHQ to pick up even more flying for them including the 170. Sorry.......

I herd from a credible source that United will win the new bid for Delta flying. Being the masters of 'the lowest bidder' they are. I can see it now...United Airlines dba Delta Connection, with inagural nonstop service CVG-CMI on a new A319 regional jet. More legroom and larger overhead bins!

/you heard it here first

outstanding...that was the funniest post i've seen in a while.
it wouldn't be so funny if it wasn't possibly true...
thanks for the laugh,
mookie

Northwest cleared for 3rd Airlink partner

By Mark Reilly
The Business Journal (Minneapolis/St. Paul)
Updated: 7:00 p.m. ET Dec. 5, 2004

The new labor agreement between Northwest Airlines Corp. and its pilots, which went into effect this week, could pave the way for a new regional affiliate for the Eagan-based carrier -- to the chagrin of current partners such as Mesaba Airlines.

advertisement
http://g.msn.com/0AD00014/667713.1??PID=2390761&UIT=G&TargetID=1001955&AN=27764&PG=NBCMSBThe deal, which was approved by Northwest pilots a month ago, gives Northwest $265 million in labor concessions, which Northwest said it needed to compete in the grueling airline industry.

It also lets Northwest add 40 new 50-seat regional jets to its network -- but only if they're flown by a carrier other than current affiliates Mesaba Airlines (owned by MAIR Holdings Inc. of Minneapolis) or Pinnacle Airlines Corp. of Memphis.

Analysts and market observers said that stipulation effectively opens the door for another regional airline to join Northwest's Airlink family, which the company is increasingly using to expand service throughout its core territory.

In turn, the deal could allow Northwest to further boost its service in "mini-hub" cities such as Milwaukee or Indianapolis, should one of the other major carriers stumble. It could also strengthen its presence in the Pacific Northwest or even stake out turf in the Northeast.

Pinnacle and Mesaba, in the meantime, find themselves cut out of expansion beyond the scope of their existing contracts.

Northwest officials declined to comment, though they did emphasize the growing importance of regional jets to the airline's strategy. "Many routes today wouldn't exist without regional jets because demand would not be enough to justify using larger aircraft," said spokesman Thomas Becher.

Though it might seem strange for NWA pilots to negotiate a deal that allows the airline to expand using other carriers, observers said the union is hoping the deal strengthens Northwest overall. In documents describing the deal to pilots, the Northwest Air Line Pilots Association (ALPA) said gaining a new regional partner would give Northwest "offensive and defensive marketing capability" should another major carrier drop out.

In particular, the deal would help Northwest keep its hold on Midwest markets instead of having another rival try to move in using a regional carrier such as Mesa Airlines or AirWisconsin. Mesa is affiliated with USAirways and AirWisconsin with United.

By requiring Northwest to seek another carrier besides Pinnacle or Mesaba, the pilots' deal ensures that the cost savings they conceded won't go to buying new planes that will be flown by non-union members. Both Pinnacle and Mesaba lease their planes from Northwest.

Industry observers agreed the deal would give Northwest new flexibility.

"They could pick up another regional carrier, which is the best of both worlds for them," said Terry Trippler, an airline industry expert. Signing a new affiliate would help Northwest dominate the Great Lakes and Midwest region-- or the "heartland," as Northwest dubs it.

But he added that such a move could also help Northwest expand its reach if it wanted -- establishing a foothold in Salt Lake City or Las Vegas through a Mesa partnership, for instance.

Robert Mann, an airline consultant based in Port Washington, N.Y., said the deal could still pay off by letting Northwest "see what the market offers." But he doesn't see much chance of Northwest getting into the Northeast. "There's too much carnage there."

Mann speculated that the airline might find a good match in Chautauqua Airlines of Indianapolis, which he described as "a true lift-on-demand" company. Chautauqua has no ticket-counter staff, no ground crews beyond the bare requirements -- almost everything but the planes themselves are managed by its airline partners.

Which makes it a very low-cost option for Northwest, Mann said, even compared to other small carriers. "If all you need is a few extra flights, they can use existing Airlink staff to support activities by a new vendor."

For Northwest's existing vendors like Mesaba, the deal would seem to put a cap on their own growth, at least for now. Mesaba ALPA spokesman Kris Pierson said the carrier's pilots understood why Northwest ALPA members voted for the deal. "But we were disappointed that the scope was changed to allow another Airlink carrier into the mix," he said.

Dave Jackson, a Mesaba spokesman, acknowledged that the deal effectively limits its own horizons. "NWA determines whether we grow," he said. "We have to have a strategy that allows us to succeed, if we grow or not."

You commuter kids are a bunch......too much gel in your hair or something, I don't know....:rolleyes:

PHXFLYR:cool:

Latest resources

Back