CHQ Canceling furloughs?

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
None taken. I should clarify.

I have talked to two different guys in the past two weeks who said that if I only had 1000 hours, CHQ is almost giving jobs away. Then I return home and see the above posts and wonder what the heck is going on. One guy says he has a buddy who flies for them and is going to get him in (he has 900 hours... and counting to 1000) and another is a ramper for CHQ.

I've been around long enough to know not to jump on every rumor passed along, but these two really do have inside connections and are telling me this. With no qualifications to make my way into CHQ at this time, but with a sincere interest in making my way towards them in a few months, I am really confused as to hearing two totally different accounts.

Last edited:
We are hiring people with 10,000 hours and people with less than 1500 hours. There is no rhyme or reason for the mins. they are using. But then again, what airline does??

The SA Saab flight from STL-IND-STL was a charter flight to a rewards banquet. CHQ employees were flown on this flight.

Now that the smoke has cleared anyone know how many actually got furloughed July 31st including the vouluntary ones? And how bout the Aug 31st ones?

CHQ hires more by personality than flight hours. They realize that if you have to sit next to someone for a month, its much better if they are not a talking sphinkter. The sim ride it to see if you have the basic abilities. But they do not "GIVE JOBS AWAY". If your hired, its because you are what they want personality wise.

When I interviewed the ones turned away were cocky and had attitude.

Good Luck

"Now that the smoke has cleared anyone know how many actually got furloughed..."

I guess I didn't realize the "smoke had cleared"

Yeah there is still alot of smoke. I just meant since July 31st has come and gone i was wondering how many of the Planned furloughs became actual furloughed.

<1000 hr. CHQ applicants...

I'd guess you guys <1000ish are probably bridge program...exramper...or heavily connected with the company.

I will say if it's any barometer to other applicants. I got walked in 2 mo. ago, 2500+ hrs, 135 current, 500 multi, 400 jet & turboprop. nada as of yet.

I gotta say, I'm afraid they'll call and say CHQ doesn't have openings BUT, we got this other thingy called Repub...

Is this Republic thing still in the news or are they gonna make it go away? This is gonna be very damaging to the future of CHQ if it goes off.

So, back to an earlier question. Does anyone know how many pilots were actually furloughed? up till now?

any numbers would be helpful.

Source: http://www.ibt747.org/airlines/chq/news/2003/071803chq.htm

DATE: July 14, 2003

TO: All Chautauqua Pilots

The union is aware of the recent furlough announcements made by Chautauqua management. This move is perceived by the EC to be tactical in nature and does not come as a complete surprise. It is a predictable effort by the company to undermine our bargaining efforts and strengthen the Company?s position at the table. The EC sincerely hopes the Company will recognize the detrimental effect this will have on the welfare and goodwill of its employees as well as the overall operation of the airline. We wish to emphasize to the Chautauqua pilots that this maneuver on the part of the company should serve as a catalyst to solidify our unity.

It is unfortunate that the state of labor relations at Chautauqua has led to circumstances that are undesirable, but we absolutely and categorically refute the Company?s attempt to place blame on both the pilot group and union.

Since the company has not been forthcoming with information to both the union and potential furloughees, we are presently trying to determine the extent of these proposed furloughs and will present the pilot group with the updated information they need.

The Chautauqua negotiation committee would like to ask all pilots to maintain to perform their duties with the typical high standards that are expected of this pilot group. Such attempts at pressuring the pilot group and Negotiating Committee will not provide the company with added leverage, but will only strengthen our unity and determination.

Fraternally,

The Chautauqua Negotiating Committee

Official #'s are 62 furloughed. Nothing in writing with regard to callbacks or cancellation. Rumored that all will be back by October. Rumored only.

July 23, 2003

The Honorable Norman Mineta
Secretary of Transportation
U.S. Department of Transportation
400 7th Street, SW, Suite 10200
Washington, D.C. 20590

Dear Secretary Mineta:

This letter concerns and is in opposition to the Republic Airline application for a certificate of public convenience and necessity pending before the Department of Transportation. While Republic Airlines is a non-operating subsidiary of Republic Airways Holdings, Inc., Chautauqua Airlines is an operating subsidiary of the same parent company. The formation and future operation of Republic Airlines is intended as an alter-ego competitor of Chautauqua.

The International Brotherhood of Teamsters represents the pilots and flight attendants at Chautauqua. The creation of Republic Airlines directly threatens the job security of these employees since Republic Airline already has announced that its initial operating routes are those transferred from Chautauqua to Republic. This action represents the work of our members and it has become a major impediment in the resolution of the current bargaining with the Chautauqua pilot group under the Railway Labor Act (RLA).

The intended formation of Republic Airline unnecessarily injures both our members and the state of Indiana. I urge you not to issue such certificate as it undermines collective bargaining under the RLA and its formation does not serve the public interest.

Thank you for your consideration in this matter.

Sincerely,

James P. Hoffa
General President

Last edited:

Latest resources

Back