Choice: ASA or a Pt 91 Falcon 10 job...

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

CFI2766

I'm in the pool for ASA. From what I understand, I'm one of about 40ish people still in the pool. I hear that ASA is short for pilots and that there are classes starting up in November. I got a phone call last week asking if I'm still interested in a class with ASA and what my times were. I'm a career changer, and started flying to fly for an airline. I think I have a good chance of being in a ground school for ASA in the near future. I live in Atlanta, and ASA is and always has been my first choice.

Last week, I had a different job offer fall into my lap. A local, part 91, Falcon 10 job just opened up at my home airport, less than 10 minutes from my house. No training contract, they pay for PIC training, it's close to home, and the money is much better than I'll make as an FO at ASA. I will have little chance of an upgrade, as the captain and the plane's owner are good friends. However, it will be operated under part 91, and I WILL be logging my legs as PIC as I'll be appropriately rated and typed.

1. Will ASA still be around a year from now?
2. Will there be a strike?
3. With a lot of folks leaving ASA, will there be growth/upgrades once/if a contract is finally agreed upon, and, potentially, as mainline Delta starts to hire next year?
4. If I get 1000 hours PIC in a Falcon 10 under part 91, will that help or hurt me in the future if I look at getting on with another airline?

I know that there are a lot of ASA folks who are not happy with how things are going down at KATL. PLEASE give me sincere feedback and do not turn this into an ASA bashing thread.

Go fly the falcon. ASA will be around in some form or the other. This may be the dream job you walked into. ASA is a constant turnstyle of pilots.

BuzzSaw

I'm in the pool for ASA. From what I understand, I'm one of about 40ish people still in the pool. I hear that ASA is short for pilots and that there are classes starting up in November. I got a phone call last week asking if I'm still interested in a class with ASA and what my times were. I'm a career changer, and started flying to fly for an airline. I think I have a good chance of being in a ground school for ASA in the near future. I live in Atlanta, and ASA is and always has been my first choice.

Last week, I had a different job offer fall into my lap. A local, part 91, Falcon 10 job just opened up at my home airport, less than 10 minutes from my house. No training contract, they pay for PIC training, it's close to home, and the money is much better than I'll make as an FO at ASA. I will have little chance of an upgrade, as the captain and the plane's owner are good friends. However, it will be operated under part 91, and I WILL be logging my legs as PIC as I'll be appropriately rated and typed.

1. Will ASA still be around a year from now?
2. Will there be a strike?
3. With a lot of folks leaving ASA, will there be growth/upgrades once/if a contract is finally agreed upon, and, potentially, as mainline Delta starts to hire next year?
4. If I get 1000 hours PIC in a Falcon 10 under part 91, will that help or hurt me in the future if I look at getting on with another airline?

I know that there are a lot of ASA folks who are not happy with how things are going down at KATL. PLEASE give me sincere feedback and do not turn this into an ASA bashing thread.

I would probably take the falcon job. Regionals will probably be hiring for a while, and ASA is up in the air right now. If the job and money are good, and you are getting some PIC time you can sit back and watch the industry unfold.

However...

91 PIC is not as good as 121 PIC, and some majors want time in airplanes above a certain weight. If you have one or more majors in mind, research their competetive and minimum times and see if the falcon might do the trick.

After you get 1000 PIC (or 1300), you could always go to a regional to punch your 121/RJ ticket if necessary. The 91 PIC along with some 121 SIC might do the trick.

falcon 10, regionals are like single A baseball as far as jobs go. not that the pilots fly like its single A.

That's not always the case. I know of few guys that have gotten on with UPS and FedEx with only King Air and Lear 35 PIC time. Multi-turbine PIC is just that... regardless of the flight rules you operate under.

Sure, I bet you can count them on one hand. This is what part 91 people like to think. Bottom line: Pt. 121 time is more desireable than pt. 91
PS. done both

Just logging PIC time isn't good enough for most larger airlines..they want for you to have been THE PIC of the airplane as defined in FAR Part 1. You may be able to log PIC time legally, but that does not necessarily make you the PIC. Obviously the Captain is going to be the one ultimately responsible for the flight. Once you get a good bit of time in the airplane and the insurance will cover you as the PIC of the flight then the time might actually mean more.

With that being said, I have a couple of buds at ASA who are miserable there. Take it for what its worth.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Latest resources

Back