Chief pilot or 135 pilot

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

givpicachanc

Guys i need Y'alls help. I am a chief pilot for a part 61 school the money is ok but i also got a 135 offer flying cessna 402 what should i do?or what looks good on my resume a bunch of multi time as part 61 chief pilot or multi time as part 135 pilot.I am not able to decide but my goal is to fly for a regional airline.....please enlighten me with your knowledge. THANKS

It is always good to hear from those with no experience. :) I'd say that the 135 would look better to anyone in 121 ops. It would me because 135 requires more rules and structure. For instance in part 135 if you got to the end of a runway and there was a 900 ft displaced threshold you would have to back taxi and use the full length even if you had 10,000 ft of runway in front of you. You can't be ready for 121 or be a real man until you ask for the full 11,000 ft in your 402 with half tanks and just you and one pax in the plane.

And I mean me with the no experience.

RT

Last edited:
RT, I've never heard of such an asinine rule. Does that apply to turbojets operating under 135?

I do agree that 135 experience beats flight instruction hands down. It's much too easy to say "I think I won't fly today." when you're instructing. Not so easy when you're being paid to get a box, bag of mail, or group of passengers safely from point A to B.

Regionals hire people with only flight instruction experience as well though. I still think the broader your experience range, the better pilot you'll make. I doubt I'll ever be as proficient as I was back when I flew freight 120 hours a month, often shooting 7-10 approaches to minimums everyday through near-blizzards while patiently waiting for the ice to build up at least an inch thick before blowing the boots.

givepicwha?,

I left a flight school manager position that I worked up to to fly 135 and never looked back. It was a great experience, but that's all it was. It's on my resume now and I've moved on. It's all about happiness, so if you really like it there and want to stick to instructing, stay. If this 135 slot is solid and you don't think you'll be back on the streets, I'd recommend advancing your career.

rt,

Where is this rule? I must be breaking it every night with all of my intersection departures, along with every Lear in the company.

see ya

V-1,

I don't know for certain. I know that when I flew with an operator that was part 135 we had to do it in Citations and Turbo Commanders. It wasn't a company policy. Maybe I be wrong. However all the pilots did it. When I was flying actual 135 it was not as a crew member I was a pretend sic on the Turbo Commander (grand rennaisance conversion) but on on the Citations the flights I took were all part 91 but they did it anyhow stating it was a 135 rule. I never looked it up I just figured they wouldn't be doing it if it were not.

RT

Can't you see a feeble attempt at humor when its waved in front of you? I really don't know the reason for the above but they did practice it and attributed it to 135 ops.

Edit: The folks to blame if this was a bad move would be the ones who had the zillion hours had the 135 job and were required to know 135 regs.

RT

Last edited:
Yea, I know the regs......I know this one ain't in there.

I've never seen it in the regs for 135 flying and I looked again today just to make sure. Perhaps it was company policy written in the company manual - which would basically make it regulatory for that company's operations.

135 job

I would apply the following analysis. Management experience looks good on any resume. It shows responsibility, organization and people skills. Airlines at any level like people who exhibit these traits and who've proven themselves as managers.

On the other hand, 135 jobs aren't growing on trees these days. Not only that, but 135 time looks good to the regionals. It gives you a definite advantage over the hoardes of flight instructors and Part 91 pilots who are seeking these precious few jobs. Therefore, I would take the 135 job. If you have designs on management, you could become a 135 check airman or something like that down the line.

thank you

thank you boby for your to the point information. I dont know what these other guys are talkin about? instead of giving me advice they are dissin the poor guy

Latest resources

Back