Chicago on St Paddies Day

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

G100driver

Looks like we will get to see the rivers turn green, this year.

I have never stayed downtown before. We have always stayed out towards the airport. Where should I stay to see all the action.

Right now I have a rooms reserved at the Drake. I am going to be where I want to be? Should I book elsewhere? (Hilton prefered)

Thanks in advance for the replies.

If you are within walking/stumbling distance of a bar that serves Guinness, you are set, my friend.

:beer:

A lot of the festivities in chicago happen the weekend before st. pats day, this weekend is the south side irish parade and the regular parade in the loop. If you are in town on Friday the 17th you still will have no problem finding a good time. The clientel at the Drake might switch to green crumpets with their tea, so you will have to venture out unless you want to ring in the holiday with mortimer and mortimer. The Drake is right in the heart of the gold coast, not a huge bar scene but a short cab ride or walk to anything you are in the mood for. Most of the stuff in the loop is chain restaurant/touristy while a mile or so north in lincoln park and lakeview or west in wickerpark and bucktown has a more local flavor. St pats weekends (this and next) are the best holidays in the city in my opinion.

If you want something walkable from the Drake I would recommend Dublins, just walk up Oak to Rush and hang a right. But if you want to get away from that area I would go to Cullins on Southport right near Grace, or Johnny O'Hagans on Sheffield and Roscoe which puts you in the heart of Wrigleyville. A good time is always had at Irish Eyes but it is a younger crowd due to its proximity to DePaul. The corner of Diversy and Halsted also offers several Irish pubs (Durkins, Hidden Shamrock and a couple more). Have fun.

Or just head up to Division street, plenty of great bars in that area.

You could check out www.metromix.com, always some good recommendations there for festivities:), here is the direct link for the big day: http://metromix.chicagotribune.com/holiday/stpatricks/search-events.front?attributeType=mmx-dining-styles&categories=mmx-bars-djs&affinities=mmx-st-patricks-day

Have fun, better yet, tell me where you are going, I'll let you buy the beer:)

As for the Drake, great location, right on the magnificient mile, the lake is right there and used to be home of Playboy.

Last edited:
G100driver said:
Looks like we will get to see the rivers turn green, this year.

I have never stayed downtown before. We have always stayed out towards the airport. Where should I stay to see all the action.

Right now I have a rooms reserved at the Drake. I am going to be where I want to be? Should I book elsewhere? (Hilton prefered)

Thanks in advance for the replies.

Red wine to green beer! You're so well rounded:D :beer:

Where did you end up for dinner last night?

Batplane said:
If you want something walkable from the Drake I would recommend Dublins, just walk up Oak to Rush and hang a right. But if you want to get away from that area I would go to Cullins on Southport right near Grace, or Johnny O'Hagans on Sheffield and Roscoe which puts you in the heart of Wrigleyville. A good time is always had at Irish Eyes but it is a younger crowd due to its proximity to DePaul. The corner of Diversy and Halsted also offers several Irish pubs (Durkins, Hidden Shamrock and a couple more). Have fun.
This man knows what he's talking about. Wrigleyville or Lincoln Park are musts. When I was there last, I had no problems finding a female willing to take her clothes off with me.

2000flyer said:
Red wine to green beer! You're so well rounded:D :beer:

Where did you end up for dinner last night?

Some Italian joint that gave me food poisioning :puke:

I only had one drink to boot. I am going to complain to JR.

G100driver said:
Some Italian joint that gave me food poisioning :puke:

I only had one drink to boot. I am going to complain to JR.

Somehow me thinks he's gonna pay for that! Hope you're feeling better.

Thanks to all the suggestions. I am looking forward to joining one of the great parties of the world! (now that I am not puking my guts out on french purchased Italian food)

Latest resources

Back