Chicago Express to ATA

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

deceptibum

Has anyone heard or have self-stories about moving on from a wholly-owned regional to it's major airline partner. Specifically Chicago Express to ATA? At some airlines it's the kiss of death to move from your owned regional to the affiliated major.

Same with US Airways and PSA, PDT, and ALG. Try telling a mainline dad that moving from PSA to mainline is horizontal. Actually, that might actually be fun to say while keeping a straight face and see his reaction.

It is almost an unwritten rule that whatever regional you work for, will be a lot tougher to be hired by the mainline affiliated with that wholly-owned. Reasons.......turboprop/turbojet capt at regional becomes FO at mainline.....training cost. Need to upgrade an FO to CA at regional....training cost. Need to hire a new FO to fill at the regional....training cost. Whereas hiring someone at a major from a completely unaffiliated and unrelated regional only leads to one training cycle. My question was have any Chicago Express guys/gals moved on to ATA and how frequent is it such as Island Air and Aloha?

I made the move from Island Air to Aloha, and so did many before me, and after me as well. From what I gather, Aloha offers preferential interview/hiring for Island Air pilots. You still have to pass the interview, but out of around 40 Island Air pilots that interviewed at Aloha in the last year and a half, only 2 did not get hired. I'd say those are pretty good odds. Also bear in mind that Island Air has a total of 55 pilots or so.

Yes, I have a friend that is flying for Chicago Express and has just been hired by ATA. He was a captain on the Saab for 2 years, and he is now in ATA's pool.
And you are wrong about training cost. If mainlines dont hire there wholly owns, they simply go somewhere else. So now u still have to train at the regional. And mainline still has to hire. If you have a flow, I think people will have a tendency to stay at that regional longer for a job at mainline. When mainline US Airways wasn't hiring our Piedmont guys, we still lost a ton to (at the time) United, American, Southwest etc..... And US Airways had to hire a bunch of people for the regionals. I personally think it save money to have a flow thru... just my opinion.

There are several ex-Chicago Expressers people here at ATA, but I think that ATA and C8 have sort of a "gentlemen's agreement" not to hire anyone from C8 until they have been a captain for 2 years or so. Then again, I could be totally wrong.

I thinkn your right about the 2 year thing, but most of our captains are under 2 years or right at the 2 year mark. Well if we just went with ALPA last winter, things might be different in regards to some offical flow through, but for now its anyones guess.
Anthony

Latest posts

Latest resources

Back