Checkride In Lawrence Ma

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

FlyinTim

Anyone fly with Al Huey...a DE out of lawrence ma?...im goin for my initial CFI with him on monday or tue (FSDO is backed up)..... Thank you all...

Don't know Al, but have been to KLWM several times. In fact, I'm probably 15NM away as I type this. Best of luck! Let us know how it goes.

-Goose

sucks for me....i dont know the area AT ALL.... im from providence....im gonna get a 150 and shoot on up there to scope everything out this weekend... ::soo neverous::

He's got a tough rep but fair at the same time. He's been around a while. Apparently gave a commercial ride to someone I know about 20 years ago. Good luck and have fun!

Mr. I.

Tim... you need to do just one thing... breath!!

I just took my CFI ride back at the begining of the year, so I remember all too well the feeling of anxiety and fear of the unknown that creeps up on you the day that it gets set in stone what day the ride is going to be. Unfortunately that feeling normally don't go away until the day of the ride, but there are a few things you need to tell yourself.

1) You know your stuff. Your instructor isn't going to sign you off and send you out to the checkride if your not prepared, and teaching to the level you need to be.

2) Look thru the PTS and make sure you have lesson plans on every single thing listed in there. If its not in there, it's not fair game for him to ask. Sure he can ask if he wants, but he would have a hard time justify failing you for something that he can't reference on the pink slip. Remember, the PTS is a "Grading" rule book that both you and him have to follow.

3) Like I said earlier, just breath and relax a little bit. Something each Examiner told me on each of my 3 CFI rides: "I dont care as much that you aren't flying the manuever as proficiently as you probably can, it's already been proven in previous checkrides you can do the manuevers; what I want to see is that you can TALK me thru the manuever, and critique me about how I'm doing." Another examiner always preached "if its silent, and your not talking in the cockpit, then your not earning your money as a CFI. Even if it's straight and level flight, always be asking him questions or scenarios." The more you talk, the more excited the Examiner's get on the Instructor rides. And TALK about evert detail, no matter how minor (taxi centerline, taxi wind correction, runup information, who we call when on frequencies, etc.)

4) Just have the attitude on the day of the ride that no matter what the outcome is going to be, your just going to give it your best, and if he finds a deficient area and gives you a pink slip - then you can go home, study up as much as possible ont hat area, and blow him away next time. The way I always looked at it, is once you fail a checkride on the oral phase, when you go back you normally dont have to do 3/4 of the oral that you had preciously studied for. Just go in and clean up the deficient areas. Plus there usually more lenient on the second try, because they really dont want to fail you a second time if they aren't forced to.

GOOD LUCK, and I look forward to hearing the battle report after the ride on Wednesday!

User997 said:
Another examiner always preached "if its silent, and your not talking in the cockpit, then your not earning your money as a CFI."
Great advice from User997, although I would disagree (vigorously) in practice with the examiner quoted above. But for the CFI checkride, unfortunately, that's exactly how you have to do it.

Personally, though, I feel that in actual flight instruction (not checkrides, per se) there are teaching exercises and techniques that are far more valuable to the student that do not require "talking the student's ear off"--sometimes they seem to learn better when I just shut up and let them fly, and discuss how things went post maneuver or post flight--it certainly helps their judgement and decision making abilities.

I would say that I would not be earning my money as a CFI if I was not employing the most effective teaching technique available. Just keep in mind that as you work as a CFI, this doesn't always involve constantly yapping away at your students.

-Goose

Congrats Tim!!

So tell us how the oral and flight went.

I'll buy a round of drinks to celebrate!

Latest resources

Back