Checked Baggage while jumpseating?

dueguard1

ROTT MAN 4 LIFE!!!
Total Time
Un Mil
Are there any extra fees incurred when jumpseating and checking in 1 peice of luggage that's not a carry-on?

blackbox

Total Time
no, i dont believe you get charged anything, but even if you dont get on,your bag still does

BLing

Total Time
blackbox said:
no, i dont believe you get charged anything, but even if you dont get on,your bag still does

Not if it has a standby tag on it.

atlcrashpad

Can't hold me down
Total Time
Bling
Checked bag?

Why would you need to check a bag if jumpseating? Jumpseating normally is for commuting, are you packing for a week? If the cabin/overhead is full, I use the "Deadhead Crew" tag (supplied by the company). Rampers will place your bag on the jetway at your destination. I've never run into a problem with my overnight bag (Flightcase left in the crew lounge).

B-J-J Fighter

Royce Gracie in Action
Total Time
>4000
Sometimes I gate check a bag if jumpseating on a RJ. The bins are not that big and are usually full since you are usually the last person to get on.

meatwallet

certified muff diver
Total Time
3:16
To answer your question, yes you can check baggage. No, it doesn't cost anything. I just did it yesterday w/ 2 bags. You get standby tags on it, so if you don't get on, your bags won't either

RichardRambone

Banned
Total Time
Im a schmo and I dont know jack about jumpseating. What exactly is it? Where do you sit? Do you have unlimited jumpseats to use whenever? Can you use them for vacations or just work commuting? Are they free? Please bear with me Im a newb to this.

RichardRambone

Banned
Total Time
Thx a bunch. I love it when people put things in simple terms. I LOVE your avatar thats some hot shat. I wish I could make the pic bigger. And by the way why are they shatty for vacations, do you get bumped if the flights full or something?

Flying Illini

Hit me Peter!
Total Time
nice avatar!...how has that not been censored yet?!

cargoflyr69

V-Dub for Life
Total Time
5000+
It depends on the airline, I've always asked someone at the ticket counter the actual policy before checking bags. I've checked large boxes on USAirways, United, and NWA in the past 3 years as I've used them as my personal "moving company" when bouncing from base to base with crashpad essentials. Also keep in mind that FedEx will give a 75% discount to most airline crew members when it absolutely positively has to be there!