• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Check ride time

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Make sure you remind them to reset the DG to compass after the steep turns and unusual attitudes, as these are likely to cause precession in the DG.

Jmmccutc said:
i had an examiner ask me several years ago how much the paint on a 152 weighed...not that he expected me to know it he wanted to see if i knew where it was, it's in the PHO under the master weight and ballance list...

how much did it weigh?

i just had my checkride on monday, and a few things i shoulda studied more included the airplane's systems (being able to draw the fuel system) and lots of the small print on the sectional. the examiner, as i was warned going into my exam, likes to make the checkride a learning experience. he's been an examiner for 32 years, and he has a good idea of what to expect when it comes to where students aren't proficient. he asked me what the altitudes for an MOA were and asked me where i'd find them, then showed me why i was wrong. he also asked about local time vs. zulu time on the sectional. i know this is nitpicky, but i came out of my exam much wiser than when i entered it. on a side note, my CFI had the poor luck of walking in after my checkride, and my examiner started asking him the same questions he asked me, and my CFI got them wrong!!! the examiner went through the same explanations for him as he gave me. had to be a humbling experience.

what i did in preparation was take the written 2 days beforehand and read through the gleim private pilot book for that twice. then i read through parts 61, 91, 43, and 830 of the FAR's, as they pertained to my type of flying. i went through the pilot's handbook for my cessna 172R a few times, hitting the systems and V-speeds pretty hard. i also went through the oral exam guide two or 3 times. as for the practical stuff, i think that i put in 4.5 or so hours doing nothing but the maneuvers. if i was your students i would start at least a week early studying for these things, like i did. i passed just fine, and hopefully, with a little hard work, your students won't have a problem. and by the way, 3 hours of ground ref and shorts and softs IN ONE SITTING is hell. pure, bloody hell.

Last edited:
Ask them:

Q. What makes an airplane fly?

(most will go into Bernoulli and Newton...Lift, pressure, AOA, yada, yada, yada...)

A. Money!

FlyJordan said:
how much did it weigh?

9.4 lbs.

9.0 for base white paint
0.4 for color stripe...

Keep them calm.

Remember the examiner wants to check their decision making ablility.

Tell them that they can't remember everything, but they better know where and how to look it up.

Keep them calm.

Make sure they can fly their plane through anything and get back safely.

Keep them calm.

There are too many scenario based questions to think of them all, but use what you can come up with to see if your student can correlate basic information about systems, regs, and operating techniques to come up with a reasonable response.

Go through the PTS and hit everything as a last review. Expand upon those specific items listed, for example "preflight planning" encompasses a lot information. If the student knows the material, then this process should be fairly quick and straightforward. You should only have to clarify a few points here and there. If you find yourself having to teach/reteach very much of the material, then the student probably isn't ready. Be sure to review the introduction of the PTS as well, so the student knows exactly what is expected of him/her during the ride and what the examiner is required to be looking for.

Make sure that the student knows how to reference the FAR/AIM, POH, and other pertinent materials with some efficiency. IMHO, just knowing the speed limit below 10K is 250 because someone told you isn't good enough. The student should atleast know it is in Part 91 and should be able to find it with relative ease. (This was just a 'for instance').

Hope this helps.

Last edited:
what i found helped (even at 8 am) on my pvt checkride was doing a few shots of jack daniels before i did the oral. really took the edge off of things :D

Latest resources

Back