check ride failures and majors

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

The Transporter

How many check ride failures do majors consider unacceptable? And are all failures considered the same, for example initial ratings and cfi vs 121.
Any thoughts?

US hired a guy with 3 pink slips about 2-3 years ago.

They've hired many with 1 pink slip.

One is a non event, and it probably provides good fodder for the TMAAT questions as long as you handled it appropriately.

This whole check ride failure psychosis is a bunch of chit. It doesn't make you a loser OR a failure in life. If your dream in life is fly for a major airline and you've had some re-check/re-trains in your past don't let it derail your efforts. Just remember that when you've had to retrain an event it could also be because your instructor failed you.

The recruiting department at my previous carrier usually viewed older failures more favorably than recent ones. Balling up a private pilot checkride as a teenager was seen as less detrimental than pooching an ATP or type ride. CFI ride failures are so commonplace it's nearly laughable. If they see an overall negative trend- that's what raises the flag. They want someone who is economically trainable.

How many check ride failures do majors consider unacceptable? And are all failures considered the same, for example initial ratings and cfi vs 121.

Any thoughts?

There are three things to consider when discussing check ride failures:

1. When was the check ride failed?
2. How many check rides have you taken/passed since the failed ride?
3. Is there a trend of failed check rides? (i.e. have you failed multiple initial rides?)

Having worked with pilot records for several years, I can tell you many more pilots have blemishes on their record than you may realize. These include: check ride failures, terminations, and violations. What makes these career changing events vs. a good TMAAT sorry has a lot more to do with recency and trends than anything else.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:

Latest resources

Back