Check Airman vs Stan/Eval vs NATOPS evaluator

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

King Air Evac

I am looking for some help understanding the definitions, roles and qualifications of Air Force and Navy Instructor Pilots, Evaluators, Stan/Eval pilots and NATOPS evaluators. I want to make sure I don?t misrepresent my qualifications on applications and interviews to organizations who have little experience with Army aviators.

In the Army we have Instructor Pilots (IP), who, by definition train and evaluate and are qualified through a course of instruction for IPs at an authorized Aviation Proponent School in the aircraft category in which IP duties are to be performed.

Unfortunately, due to 40 years of tradition on the rotor wing side dating back to the Vietnam days when only a few pilots were instrument rated, we also have an additional, separate school and designation for Instructor Pilots to become an Instrument Examiner (IE). Instructor pilots can train and evaluate instrument tasks, except for the required annual proficiency evaluation which may only be administered by an Instrument Examiner. This still almost makes sense for helicopter gun bunnies who only have basic instrument capabilities and flying on instruments is an emergency procedure, but not for lift helicopters or fixed wing pilots where instruments are an integral part of the mission.

The Army also has the designation of Standardization Instructor Pilot (SIP or SP), which is a designation, no school required, for usually the most experienced Instructor Pilot in an organization. The Standardization Instructor Pilot is responsible for evaluating other Instructor Pilots and is also responsible for administrating the training and evaluation program in an organization. Standardization Instructor Pilots are evaluated by:

Department of Evaluation and Standards (DES), which is the Army organization responsible for creating standards and ensuring all aviation units and schools within the Army are adhering to those standards.

Any help would be greatly appreciated. As I said, I don?t want to represent my qualifications as something they are not, but I also don?t want to understate my qualifications either.

I was a NATOPs pilot on the P-3. I simply put on my resume under military experience. Wing Designated Pilot Evaluator. I wouldn't go into much detail on a resume. The military structure and culture is foreign to many civilians. It can be discussed in an interview when you get one.

Latest resources

Back