Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

chase

Fractional friends,

My name is "chase" and I post regularly on the major's section. I'm in need of some advice and assistance. A good friend of mine was injured in a skydiving accident in Lakeland Florida recently. His injuries were severe but he is healing slowly. It will take several months. He is unable to travel commercially because of his inability to sit up at this point...however, he could fly in a smaller jet that would permit a stretcher to be loaded, air ambulance type. He is hoping to be walking but only slightly within 2 weeks...Transporting him from Lakeland to SNA would be the desire if possible...I know it is a long way and alot to ask.

Would there be any suggestions or ideas on the possibility of on a repositioning flight/opportune airlift that an aircraft that has the capability to board and carry a stretcher could possibly carry him from Lakeland to CA. He is veteran who lost an arm during Vietnam who is a wonderful family man and his family wishes for him to return to his home where a quicker recovery would occur being around family and friends. If there are suggestions or solutions to my problem, please forward them to me via private message or posting information below.

It would be greatly appreciated. Thanks for your consideration.

Many private health insurance companies will pay a significant portion of the costs for 'air evac' services that allow the injured person to return home via air ambulance. Sometimes folks are so caught up in their loved one's situation that they don't think of the services already available to them.

Good luck!

What about space available on a military flight going that way?

Most aircraft don't have any capability of loading or carrying a litter patient. A stretcher needs a dedicated attaching surface or bracket, and will only be found in ambulance configured aircraft.

I've done long ambulance flights domestically and internationally in aircraft ranging from piston twins to turbojet aircraft...it's always very expensive. Generally insurance won't cover the flight unless it's got a valid reason connected with the condition. Flights to be close to family are usually not considered a good reason; flights to a specialized treatment facility are.

If you're going to look in that direction for assistance, view it from the angle of what treatment he can obtain out west. Another option that we sometimes used to recover an international patient was an airline. It usually involves buying a block of seats, 6 or more, and specialized equipment to mount a litter in place of the seats. It's still an expensive option.

How about FEDEX?

Probably not.

I would really think about an AMTRACK sleeper car.

Fractional probably won't work because REPO flights are very rarely coast to coast... Not known more than a couple hrs in advance, and not enough time to reconfigure an airplane to hold a stretcher.

Also having flown Air Ambulance; you really need a plane with a Cargo door to get a stretcher in.

One fractional plane that could do it is the BBJ... there are only 3 of them. But they probably have Florida to CA repos.

Latest resources

Back