Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Friendliest aviation Ccmmunity on the web
  • Modern site for PC's, Phones, Tablets - no 3rd party apps required
  • Ask questions, help others, promote aviation
  • Share the passion for aviation
  • Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Chart on fall schedule cuts, Virgin down 10%, Delta cuts more & Midwest down 30%

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

~~~^~~~

From Boyd's Airports USA Dataminer application that he uses for his consulting and grant application company.

https://www.airportsusadataminer.com/airportsusa/images/Sched4.png

https://www.airportsusadataminer.com/airportsusa/

Delta:

Changes from last week to November's schedules
DL down an additional 1.2% in flights with only .1% change in seats (must be small airplanes being backfilled by larger airplanes). Total cut to the fall schedule 2.9% year over year.

Virgin America:

Still trying to obtain "special confidential" status to hide the data all airlines are required to report about their their O & D traffic. Fall cuts 9.4% of flights and 8.9% of seats.

United:

Cutting 3%

Northwest:

Cutting 1% with 1.1% cut in seats. (Moving to smaller jets replacing DC9's as planned)

Midwest:

Down 30% and 33%.

Yep, but we are cutting enough to Offer 178 SIL's. Not bad and a lot less than I though. I guess when the Summer '09 schedule is done, that is when we will see what our long term staffing will look like.

LAX is losing a lot of flying. Appears US Carriers are not impressed with fees to modify the airport for A380's.

IMHO the "one way or another, airlines will pay" attitude is probably the reason ~ 1,600 flights a month are being dropped.

-----

Drastic flight cuts hit Los Angeles
LOS ANGELES (AP) — High fuel prices and travelers without extra cash for plane tickets will result in drastic cuts in the number of flights at Los Angeles International Airport. Airline industry database company Innovata said Friday that the number of flights airline companies have scheduled in and out of Los Angeles International in November will be down by 16.4% from a year earlier, the Torrance Daily Breeze reported.

American Airlines plans to eliminate 86 arrivals and departures at the airport per week in November, Delta plans to eliminate 68, United plans to cut 266 flights, and those big airlines' regional affiliates also plan to eliminate more than 1,200 weekly commuter flights at the airport, the Breeze said.

Aviation analyst Mike Boyd said more cuts could be around the corner.

Airport spokeswoman Nancy Castles said Monday that she could not confirm those reductions because they have not been published by the airlines, though she expects domestic flight cuts. Castles added, however, that some international carriers are planning to increase flights. She asserted that landing fees, which cover the costs of operating the airfield, will not be impacted by the flight reductions.

Castles said airlines are required by the Federal Aviation Administration to fully compensate the airport for those costs, and share of fees will shift from those airlines that are cutting back to those increasing flights.

"So one way or the other the airlines will pay," she said.

Expansion projects aimed at upgrading Los Angeles International to handle the new, bigger jumbo jets will go forward, though some other projects may be pushed back because of the industry's condition, she said.

Last edited:
Get a S.I.L. every month for life!

Yep, but we are cutting enough to Offer 178 SIL's. Not bad and a lot less than I though. I guess when the Summer '09 schedule is done, that is when we will see what our long term staffing will look like.

SILs give senior pilots a month's "practice retirement". If one is sitting on the fence about whether or not to stick around, he might say "Hmmm... I could get used to this!" :cool:

I could get used to it and I have 30 years to go. I cannot wait until this fall when there are more than enough reserves to go around. Lat year I worked on average 1-2 trips a month. Anyone can get used to that.

I could get used to it and I have 30 years to go. I cannot wait until this fall when there are more than enough reserves to go around. Lat year I worked on average 1-2 trips a month. Anyone can get used to that.

Ditto. Now, let's hope that does not backfire and we have to furlough. So far, I've really enjoyed my three greenslips this month. Managed to turn 50 hours of flying into 90 hours of credit.

You guys see some of the ER Greenies? I saw one guy on #6. Seemed like a pretty senior guy that bid reserve. 70 hours (res guarantee) plus 6 at 15 - 20 hours per. Busy month but 150 or so hoursmof credit isn't a bad pay check!

LAX is losing a lot of flying. Appears US Carriers are not impressed with fees to modify the airport for A380's.

IMHO the "one way or another, airlines will pay" attitude is probably the reason ~ 1,600 flights a month are being dropped.

Heyas Fins,

IMHO, I wouldn't be surprised to see the empasis of the new DAL to wane for LAX.

SEA might be a better west-coast focus. The fanboys over at a.net were yapping about a coordination with ALK after the NW/DL deal is done.

Not to throw in with the a.net crowd, but a NW/AK/DL link up would be pretty tough to beat.

Nu

Heyas Fins,

IMHO, I wouldn't be surprised to see the empasis of the new DAL to wane for LAX.

SEA might be a better west-coast focus. The fanboys over at a.net were yapping about a coordination with ALK after the NW/DL deal is done.

Not to throw in with the a.net crowd, but a NW/AK/DL link up would be pretty tough to beat.

Nu

Most of the LA decrease is due to the Expressjet plug being pulled. The main reason we had them there was to keep the gates occupied so Alaska wouldn't come in and take the terminal for it's nicer customs area during our BK. Now that the merger with NWA looks like it will happen, a lot of those E145s are not needed, and NWA (soon to be DL) planes will occupy those extra gates. I think there will be some INTL expansion eventually, but nothing Earth shattering. There is also a small drawdown of 73N (738) flights also out of LAX---to BDL, BOS, and some FLA. But, those pilots based on the 73N at LAX won't lose much time in the base, since the 737-700s will start SNA flights to CVG and ATL in AUG. The base should stay the same or grow a bit in pilot lines.....

Bye Bye--General Lee

Latest posts

Latest resources

Back