Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

52vincent

Are these flying opportunities FLY?

I have been thinking of going that way myself. to see if there is any kind of opportunity. Good Luck, sorry I ca'nt offer any suggestions, have never been there.

I'm afraid there's not much going on down here hiring- wise. It's not a bad place to live though. There are a lot of Nascar flight depts. to the north of town around Concord (JQF), but they seem to do most of their hiring late in the year.

I lived there for a combined total of four years and I find myself struggling to answer your question. The answer is that Charlotte is not a fun city like Boston or Chicago. People don't travel to Charlotte for vacation or for fun. They go for business or because they work there or have relatives there.

To really get into the community there you will have to go to church. Don't laugh, I'm serious. Southern hospitality is something only for people passing through, it doesn't apply if you move there.

Don't get me wrong though, you can make friends, but more often than not they will be from somewhere other than Charlotte.

Charlotte does have a fair number of golf courses. A couple of minor league baseball teams are nearby, the Charlotte Knights and another one in Kannapolis. Two good lakes, well okay, one good lake and one muddy stretch of river called Lake Wylie. The Uptown area is also getting better and better for nightlife as more establishments open for the people living nearby. There is an amusement park just south of town. A Nascar race track in Concord and various malls scattered around the city.

Charlotte is a decent and affordable place to live. It just isn't as lively as a lot of other cities. I would still be there if it weren't for losing my job since I thought it would be a great place to raise a family.

Good luck finding a job,

Typhoonpilot

Hey Flychicaga,

I was thinking you were a higher time guy for some reason. With your time you might try one of the banner towing companies in town. I see them out flying pretty frequently (at least when it's not IFR/rain like it has been most of the last few months). The phone book lists BanAir (704 770-0310) and Airsign.com (I assume they have a website, but the phone number is 704 408-1733).

Also take an hour or so to check out the Carolina's Aviation Museum. If you land on 23 you get a good view from the right side of the plane. It's on the field but you have to go out to Billy Graham Freeway. Heading towards I-77 on Billy Graham turn right onto Morris Field Drive, go to the light and turn right. The Museum is about a mile on the left. I think my directions are good, but you may want to give them a call at 704 359-8442.

Good luck and have a good weekend here in CLT.

Last edited:
Also near the airport is the Paper Doll.

Gee Typhoon ... maybe it was that prize-winning personality that never endured you to the locals. Maybe you could only make friends with other condescending yankee-types because you were an arrogant pr!ck.

As I tell all ya'll complaining, whiney-ass, yankees ...

"I-77 goes both ways ... you need gas money?" :mad:

Minh

Snakum said:
Gee Typhoon ... maybe it was that prize-winning personality that never endured you to the locals. Maybe you could only make friends with other condescending yankee-types because you were an arrogant pr!ck.

As I tell all ya'll complaining, whiney-ass, yankees ...

"I-77 goes both ways ... you need gas money?" :mad:

Minh

Your locked in a room with a yankee, a rattle snake and mountain lion, you have a gun but only two bullets. What do you do?

Shoot the yankee twice. its a trick question.:D :D

I would first like to respond to Snakum's post.

Having lived in NC all my life and having visited the Northeast and Midwest many times, I can agree that Charlotte "ain't" no Boston or Chicago.

I find Typhoonpilot's post very relevant; especially to someone considering moving to Charlotte from a large city such as Chicago, DC, New York City, or Boston. I'm sure it is difficult for northerners to find their "niche" when moving south and vice versa for southerners moving north.

Though Charlotte is a very modern city, it is still a 9 to 5 city compared to our larger friends to the north. Charlotteans, especially native Charlotteans, need to realize that Charlotte isn't such a large city once you cross the Carolina borders. Charlotte simply doesn't offer the entertainment that can be found in larger urban areas. That isn't, however, a negative reflection on Charlotte.

Charlotte is a great place to live and that can be evidenced by its population growth, which includes a lot of Northerners moving there. As a North Carolinian, I really hate the mentality that Northerners aren't welcome (I-77 goes both ways). The more that move here, the better the chance Charlotte has of becoming a city that can be compared to Chicago, DC, Boston, etc. And they also bring a lot of money that is fed into the local economy.

I will, however, respond to the original the original question in the chance others are considering moving to Charlotte. Charlotte can be a fun place to live. There are many outdoor activites available, especially when you condider that you are about equidistant from the mountains and the coast. Charlotte's location provides for numerous one-day road trips and long weekend getaways. Charlotte is home to an NFL franchise and the NBA is returning. Though I stated Charlotte is a 9 to 5 city, it is starting to lose that reputation. Uptown (I guess downtown portrays a negative connotation for an "up and coming" city such as Charlotte) is becoming more lively and it offers theater, arts and museums. Dowtown, excuse me Uptown, will also continue to improve as more and more residential buildings are constructed there. Remember, however, though Charlotte is the second largest banking city in the nation, it isn't Chicago or Boston (just like Typhoonpilot said). Unlike those cities where the fun finds you, you have to find the fun in Charlotte.

I grew up in Hickory (HKY) about 45 miles north of Charlotte. My mom still lives there and I visit at least a couple times a year. I have to agree with most of what's been stated on the previous posts. It's a pleasant city with a small town feel. It's selling points are a temperate climate, and it's proximity to the beaches (about three hours by car) and the mountains (about two hours). It's a nice place to raise a family, which is why I'm considering moving there if I ever upgrade to captain on one of the aircraft types based at Midway.

If you ever move there, you'll have to know your NASCAR (otherwise you'll have nothing to talk about with the local girls ;) ), and learn to specify unsweetened when ordering iced tea unless you wish to receive a glass of caramel colored liquid sugar.

On your visit, I recommend you get a barbeque sandwich. Don't ask what kind of meat it is. Barbeque in North Carolina means shredded pork. The sandwich will be topped with cole slaw. I never go back without visiting the local B-B-Q joint at least once. My mouth is watering just thinking about it...

Have fun. You are taking ATA aren't you? (shameless plug for my employer)

Latest posts

Latest resources

Back