Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Friendliest aviation Ccmmunity on the web
  • Modern site for PC's, Phones, Tablets - no 3rd party apps required
  • Ask questions, help others, promote aviation
  • Share the passion for aviation
  • Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Question Changing the oil filter - should you lube the gasket?

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

Neal

Forums Chief Pilot
Staff member
Type aircraft owned
Carbon Cub FX-3
Base airport
KFCI
Ratings
COMM, IFR, MEL, SEL
Most of us know to put oil on the gasket prior to putting the new oil filter on, right? I recently posted a video on how to change the oil in a CubCrafters Carbon Cub FX-3 (Lycoming 363i) and someone commented that there are differences between Champion and Tempest filters and what to use for the lubrication of the gasket, if anything. I'm still researching but it appears Dow Corning DC-04 should be used and NOT oil. I'm still researching but for those that know please share what you know about these two oil filters and what should or should not be used on the gasket.

After researching it seems both don't need to be lubed but I think Champion should use DC-04 and Tempest should not be lubed. Very interesting study...

Amazon product ASIN B0195UWAHG

What’s Tempest’s recommendation for dealing with stuck oil filters? At your next filter change - UPGRADE to Tempest’s patent-pending “non-sticking” SPIN EZ™ aircraft engine oil filters.

Tempest’s SPIN EZ filters are designed to come off easy. Heat, time and pressure can extrude oil, grease, DC4® compound or similar liquid lubricants from between a filter’s rubber seal and the filter mount pad - leaving the filter seemingly “bonded” to the engine’s mount pad - and making it nearly impossible to remove. Tempest’s proprietary SPIN EZ adhered solid seal lubricant stays where it’s supposed to - between the seal and the mount pad’s surface. SPIN EZ solid lubricant won’t extrude or squirt out from under the seal. It prevents the bond forming environment that makes legacy filters stick.

Avoid frustration. Save time and money. No more messy DC-4 compound. No more stabbed cans. At your next filter change, UPGRADE to state-of-the-art Tempest SPIN EZ oil filters - the filter that comes off without a fight!

On the Champion filters, the guidance is printed on the side of the filter itself. It says "Lubricate gasket with Dow Corning 4 compound or equivalent. If unavailable, use engine oil."

I think the Tempest filter is similarly printed with words to the effect that it should be installed dry, but I don't have one handy to check on it.

Scott Hunziker

IMG_0993.jpeg
IMG_0994.jpeg

Latest resources

Back