Changing terminal leave start date

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

Opie-wan

Once one gives the Air Force a requested departure date (I'll be requesting terminal leave), how much flexibility do I have to change that particular date if I need to slip?
Thanks.

Opie-wan,
Would you be changing your DOS as well, or just the start of terminal leave? From my initial seperations briefing, I got the impression that the only reason Separations cares about one's terminal leave start date was to know when your final outprocessing appointment would be, as well as establish a NLT date to have all of your outprocessing checklist complete. I was briefed to handle terminal leave requests with my commander and Finance.

So let's say, for example, your DOS was 29 Sep, and you had enough leave to start terminal on 11 Aug. Finance would not sign off on that leave until NET 14 days prior to the start of that leave. So if you decided to slip your terminal leave date prior to that time, nobody but your commander would seriously care, and Seperations would just back up your final out briefing.

Now, slipping your DOS entails filling out a whole new AF 780, unless you're slipping it as a part of the "one-time good deal to move DOS to NLT 31 Dec 02" post Stop-Loss. I think you can only slip it 30 days at a time, and your commander has to sign off on it as in the "best interests of the AF."

I hope this helped. If anyone sees any errors, please correct me.

Peace,
DP

Last edited:
Good info--thanks!

OK--that clears it up a bit. I'm in the post-Dec 02 date group anyway, so I have a little time to throw darts on the calendar.

That's welcome info about the terminal leave--that's the only thing (let's hope) that I'd be changing--DOS is Mar 03 for now. And I do have the ability to slip it 90 days (not just 30) without too much AFPC interference..

Good thing is that I'm at RND, just a trip across the street to fight the empire.

I'd get out when the gettin's good. Don't test your luck extending any DOS dates...especially if you would only be working for 1/2 pay (ie..retired) after you got out. The AFMPC folks can "change the rules" as required, but at least once you are out (generally...) you are OUT.

Good luck in the 121 world.

Opie,
If you're just looking at fudging some terminal leave dates then you're good to go. I got a Palace Chase DOS and was using regular leave up until my DOS and showed up at my final out with one day in limbo. I never left my seat in the outprocessing office and put one extra day of terminal leave on my paperwork so I wouldn't have to come back (this was in Del Rio, you must understand). As long as my actual DOS didn't change they didn't care how I worked it. Your commander will be involved at some point obviously, but if he knows you're leaving then there should be no problem.
Good luck!

Opie-wan,

I agree with what DHPope93 said with regards to changing DOS. You can move it back up to 90 days without resubmitting an AF 780. I'm not sure what the process is past that.
Anyone else hearing rumors that they might reinstate stoploss? My CC and DO are hearing from our Wing King that they opened stoploss to appease Congress. They aren't giving dates of course but expect it to coincide with the next plus-up in the desert. I don't want to freak anyone out so realize this info is all from an AWACS wing and may not apply to other MDS's. Hope it's not before my 1 Nov.

Best of Luck,

Beamer

beam_d said:

Anyone else hearing rumors that they might reinstate stoploss? My CC and DO are hearing from our Wing King that they opened stoploss to appease Congress. They aren't giving dates of course but expect it to coincide with the next plus-up in the desert.

Ooooh! That's a nasty one! :)

Yes, I've now heard that rumor from several sources. Don't know exactly what the motivation behind reinstating stop loss would be since stop loss "is not a manning tool". I have heard several dates thrown out as to when stop loss will start up again; anywhere from one month from now to Oct. The most reliable indication I have that the rumors are true comes from second-hand information that originated from very high-level. Have also heard it secondhand from other people's sources at AFPC. Apparently, the rationale for reinstating stop loss would be ensuring that the AF's 30 Sep (fiscal year-end) manning numbers are satisfactory to Congress. Have no idea if that's true but that's what I heard.
It seems like the wisest thing to do for those wanting to jettison themselves from the whole mess is to make all of your dates as early as possible: houselhold goods, terminal leave, etc. Who knows what criteria they will used to establish a cut-off, but it seems that the earlier you make your dates the better positioned you'll be to get out if and when they do reinstate stop loss.

Latest resources

Back