Changing logbooks?

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

C172Heavy

I was wondering if it looks bad to the airlines or 135 operators if you change logbooks before filling it up with entries? I have a logbook that I got before I knew I was going to go after a career in aviation and it doesn't have enough columns to fill in different types of time.

Thanks. Fly safe!

C172-
I would not worry or sweat it since it really makes no difference whatsoever how many books you choose to use AS LONG as you keep all your "previous" logbooks for your interviews down the line in which prospective employers will want to see ALL your logbooks whether it be for a 121 or 135 position. I had a small Jepp log for my PVT/INST then switched over to the Jepp Pro logbook for the added space when I got my 135 job and I even fly with guys who will use a third logbook soley for when they "instruct".. More personal preference regarding this issue over anything else. Keep in mind however that whether you have one or five different logbooks that you foward your flight times "correctly" from one to the next since it would be easy to be off on the forwards.

Cheers-

C172 starting a new log book for that reason is fine but just like the other reply said, keep all of them and keep them in good condition. i had to start a new logbook after only 30 hours since the binder gave out and was falling apart. if your just starting out try and keep your logbook very very very neat and error free. one way to impress someone in an interview is to have a nice, clean, neatly written kept up log book without errors. i had old instructors make alot of errors like putting flight time in the sim column, single time under multi-engine, etc.. i would make sure every entry is neat, legal and correct. i had to start watching my instructors when they put in the time to make sure it was correct..and use a black pen always, no pencil, markers or blue pen..do that and keep it the same through out and you will have a very presentable logbook an interviewer will be thankful to see!!!!!

Show me a perfect logbook and you are showing me a logbook a with a lot of "P-51" time. From my limited experience, interviewers could care less about what your "first" logbook looks like. From now on, just use the same ink color (many airlines prefer black ink in the maintenance logs...I use black in my logbook) be it blue or black. Try and not make mistakes but if you do...big deal. As always...
See Yooooooooo!

Personally as a glider pilot I kept two seperate logbooks, and I seemed to like it. I know that when I get my CFI I am probally just going to get a logbook for that to log my teaching time, I prefer to keep things seperate. Also that way if I have it on me and I get ramped, they are have less to go though and violate me on.

Though right now I am considering getting an electronic logbook or one of those big Pro pilot logbooks to keep a record of total time, but without all the details that I put in each individual logbooks (like tow alts and amt of altitude gained in my glider logbook).

Logbooks

I don't see where it matters if you start a new logbook without filling up the old book. Just make it clear in your old logbook that you are carrying your totals forward to your new book and in the new book that you are bringing the totals forward from the old book. If you have leftover pages in the old book you could draw a single diagonal line across each page.

Of course, accuracy, neatness and organization are keys. Your totals should balance.

I always recorded all my time, which wound up being primarily instruction, in one logbook. I worked in schools, and would enter my students' names and the lesson taught that flight. I made up my own columns and recorded my my students' signoffs in there, too, per FAR 61.

Somehow, I understand that for glider pilots the Soaring Society of America has them record flights in hours and minutes instead of hours and tenths and prefers glider pilots to keep a separate logbook. I took one or two flights in one day nine years ago and my instructor recorded time that way in a special glider book as well as my logbook.

Latest resources

Back