• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

champion air?

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
From someone who's living the dream right now, there's three groups of people. Those who love it, who hate it, and those who look at it simply as a job. I fall in that third category...

Champion is alright to work at if you live in base. Commuting is no good as we don't have CASS and may never have it at the pace we're going. Pay is not great for the equipment we fly, but when I left XJ and moved over here, it was an even trade on pay for me. Our current contract has some really crappy language and holes in it you could drive an 18 wheeler through. But our negotiating committee is working hard at trying to fix those problems. Don't expect a new contract / strike until sometime late next year.

Otherwise, the crews that I fly with are fantastic! In a lot of ways, it's just like XJ and 9E in the sense the company pounds your every chance they get, but the people you work with help to soften the blows. You get to see some interesting things on the flights you work. And coming from a regional, I've seen more the country in the short time I've been here than I have in my entire life...

So this company works for some, and may not work for others.

No one is faulting you for going to Champion it is a job, I went to Champion for the same reasons that you did but left a year later, and yes your fellow pilots are what makes the job fun. it is the managment mentality. The union is trying to get you a fair and decent contract however the company is well aware the small pilot group can do little since managment is backed by Northwest Airlines. The company only honors the contract when it benefits them and if they violate the contract you better just do what they say and file a grievance the company has no intention of ever hearing your grievence they will just ask for grievences to be put aside when they finally sign a contract. Matt Marsh and Glenn Miller are doing the best they can for you and don't want a strike. It is the last thing they want however they know deep down that there will be a strike. I left Champion when I asked for what I was entitled for in the contract the company took it out on me via the back stabbing all out for himself Chief Pilot but I realized why am I staying and putting up with all of the bull when I can make twice as much money doing what I was doing before and being at home instead of in Detroit. The turnover will always be high at Champion I have seen senior Captains with multiple years in the company being disiplined for excersising their rights under the current contract. The truth is if you have nothing better it is a job. I always had something better but thought the grass would be greener at Champon because they were union when I realized my mistake I left Champion. I only hope that the line pilots will never forget who has their noses all brown at the corporate office yet remain active union members and never forget that there real scabs at strike time will be in the office.

Latest resources

Back