Champion Air or FlightOptions?

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

FLL2DENKAMUTR

I have just been offered a position as an FE in the 727 at Champion, and will be interviewing for an FO position at FLOPS in a few days. I have researched both companies fairly well. This will be a tough decision: take a pay cut to fly sideways for about 18 months or more before I can upgrade to FO, or fly as FO for more pay at FLOPS, and not have to commute. Any suggestions?

At Flops you will get type rated and have corporate part 91(135) experience. This will get you farther than 727 sideways time.

Not to mention at Champion you will probably go back and forth between FE, Furlough, FE, FO, FE, FO, etc...................

Forget Champion, that is like flying a dinasour, Jurassic Classic. Go Flight Ops all the way. The FA's are not worth it either.

FLL2DENKAMUTR said:
... take a pay cut to fly sideways for about 18 months or more before I can upgrade to FO, or fly as FO for more pay at FLOPS, and not have to commute.

I think this sentance would pretty much seal the deal for me.

FLL2DENKAMUTR said:
I have just been offered a position as an FE in the 727 at Champion, and will be interviewing for an FO position at FLOPS in a few days. I have researched both companies fairly well. This will be a tough decision: take a pay cut to fly sideways for about 18 months or more before I can upgrade to FO, or fly as FO for more pay at FLOPS, and not have to commute. Any suggestions?

Dude - unless something dramatic has changed, I'd count on more like 4 or 5 YEARS before you upgrade off the panel. The seniority list there is very stagnant, and unless there's a mass exodus they'd have to expand a lot more than I think they have plans for to upgrade in 18 months.

My how times have changed - when I was there I made captain in not much more than 18 months. Great bunch of folks.

FLL2DENKAMUTR said:

I think you answered your own question!!!!
Champion- paycut to fly sideways for 18 months, or
FLOPS- more money and no commute=better quality of life!!!!

I would say that everyone that has been posting here has some very valid points. Obviously Flight Options would probably be the better way to go.

The one thing that most of the posters here have missed is that you state that you have gotten an offer of a position at Champion and you are interviewing at Flight Options. Job offers are something entirely different than interviews. I would say that IF the Champion position offers you something of a step up from your current job accept the offer of employment. Hopefully your employment does not start prior to going to the interview with Flight Options. If your interview is within the start time of the class date at Champion see if there is a later class that you can join so that you can make your interview. If there is no later class date then you will have to make a more difficult choice.

If you are in training at Champion and Flight Options gives you the call with an offer of employment then leave Champion if you wish. Now you will have all your bases covered.

The amount of people that leave companies in the middle of training to go to other better opportunities is staggering. It is just seems to be the way things usually work out. Usually it is not thought of too negatively if you leave prior to the end of training. Even if you leave after training remember YOU are the most important issue. Do what is best for you!

One more thing, not that in most cases it is a viable opportunity but prior to your leaving your current employer see if you can secure a leave of absence. The tricky thing about this is that if you work for a small operator when the new company is doing your background check your previous employer will find out about your new endeavor and might release you from that leave of absence and just terminate your employment. I know all this sounds kind of dicey but I have seen it done a number of times by different individuals.

Good Luck To Us All!

Last edited:

Latest resources

Back