Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

pilotmiketx

Registerd User
http://www.mysanantonio.com/global-includes/printstory.jsp?path=/news/metro/stories/MYSA102305.9B.airport.accident.3861676.html

Haven't seen this mentioned on here yet. I guess it didn't make the national news because nobody died.

This guy missed the turn for the runway, and while trying to turn around on a small GA ramp, got the nosewheel off into the grass and used full power to keep the turn going. In the process he literally blew the doors off of two hangars. There was a guy in one hangar with a living area who was blown off his couch and broke his foot. His dog was blown through a wall. Everything in the hangar was damaged including a Baron.

Talked to a friend of mine who is an airport firefighter and was first on the scene. He said the call came in as an explosion with a person down. There was debris all over the ramp and the hangar doors were blown OUT.

The amazing thing is after all this, he taxis into position and takes off. He was completely oblivious.

Heard another rumor that the pilot was the only person on board, but again it's just rumor at this point.

I should be getting pics soon.

If you find out the name of the pilot, let me know...I used to fly with a guy who went to Champion, and this sounds like something right up his alley :(

pilotmiketx said:
His dog was blown through a wall.

I'm sorry for the guy's dog, but...

Lol! That just made my day! :) Why can't that happen to my little turd of a dog??

Tnose Champion 727's pack a mean punch, and yeah, I have as much experience with that as the guy who was sitting in his hangar. I have no idea if the pilot got into any trouble over his "oops" with me, as I didn't push it with Champion. I can't say what my company did with it though.

CaravanMan said:
I'm sorry for the guy's dog, but...

Lol! That just made my day! :) Why can't that happen to my little turd of a dog??

too bad that doesn't happen to some peoples kids.

I took a look at the hanger doors from the road, and they are completly trashed. Sino Swearingin's two structural test hangers took the brunt of the damage.

I took a couple of my students by there to show them why they should be careful taxing behind you jet jockys.

Champion has a one of their 727's parked here all the time durring NBA season for the Spurs.

My guess is the FAA will track the captain down and have at him. An FAA inspector buddy of mine was involved with a license suspension of a 727 captain from a major carrier in IND some years back. Rounded the corner entering the old rwy 23 and blew a NWA DC9 sideways causing the hose from a start cart to start whipping around and really injured a ramp guy.

Y'all be careful out there.

pilotmiketx said:
Heard another rumor that the pilot was the only person on board, but again it's just rumor at this point.

There had to have been more than just one pilot on board!!! FO, FE. I'm sure they were on board also.

say again said:
There had to have been more than just one pilot on board!!! FO, FE. I'm sure they were on board also.

That's what I said, but it doesn't make a whole lotta sense that 3 crewmembers would let things get all sideways and then blast off without a peep to anyone.

The FAA was waiting for them upon arrival and the pilot(s) was/were whisked off for their pee test.

As an aside, when I get the pictures, I'll be sure to send them to the gang from Mythbusters...I seem to remember them having trouble blowing a car over with a couple of old jet engines. Myth busted my A$$!

Latest resources

Back