Challenger Type Rating?

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

regionalhell

Is there any way to add a challenger type rating to your ATP, without going through the entire training process, if you already have a CRJ(CL-65) type. Does anyone offer a differences training type. I peeked into a challenger cockpit the other day and it looked almost identical.

Simply put, no. There is not an FAA approved transition course to get a 604 rating when you already have a CL65 rating. (I've checked). It's been explained to me that the official stance is that the performance changes and weight differences, as well as some systems differences are enough to warrant a completely different type rating, and no schools out there have developed short courses that have been approved.

Places like FSI and Simuflite don't have any reason to... corporate operators have to pay for the training, so why create a program that means less income for the providers? (It's not like in house airline programs that can justify and afford the costs/effort to certify transition courses)

Bummer, huh?

Last edited:
Your best bet would be to apply at places that operate 601 or 604 aircraft and have them send you to school. With the CRJ type, they would likely hire you over someone without the glass time provided you are a stand-up guy/girl.

I would strongly recommend not throwing 20k of your own money at a 604 type; you might find the training and checkride much easier than actually finding work. Even with the type, you have no time in "that" particular type of aircraft which the insurance company will definitely distinguish from a CRJ. It might as well be a 727. The bigger drawback is that corporate/135 aviation is a small insular world; if an operator needs a contract pilot they have people they know and probably used before or will go through NBAA to find someone.

Best bet: get hired at a 135/corp outfit and start building contacts-that is the good way to get in the contract flying business. Second best way is to get hired at Simuflite or FSI as an instructor on a particular type of a/c.

regionalhell said:
Is there anyplace that offers the full CL-604 type for a reasonable price? All I have seen so far charge about 20K.

If you found somebody that quoted you a price of $20K then grab it before they figure out what they've done! My recurrent wasn't even that cheap.

CL

There are a few insurance companies that I talked with that were willing to credit some amount of CRJ time in type towards 604 requirements for insurance minimums. They still wanted 100 hrs in type before a PIC certification though.

Latest resources

Back