challenger 600 ?s

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

BoxFlyr

i'm currently flying a falcon 20 for a guy and now he thinks he wants a challenger 600. i would like to know the good, bad, and ugly of this bird and thought someone here might be able to help me out. also, i would like to know what captain pay should be in the southeast.

Challenger 600??? Run, run away as far and as fast as you can go!!

Seriously the 600 is a great domestic airplane but it's OLD. If you opt for the 600 make sure you get one with the avionics upgrade - with the coming of DRVSM if you get a 600 with original avioncs(and there are a bunch out there) the bill to get RVSM approval is going to be $$$$$$$$$$$$ and you won't want to fly the airplane below 290.

The 600 will be a good airplane but a 601 would be better. With the 601 you get the GE engines instead of the Lycomings and better avionics and a bunch of other 'better things'. With today's used aircraft market the way it is you should be able to find a used 601 for not much more than a 600.

I've flown the entire Challenger line except for the Global so if you need specific numbers or have specific questions feel free to PM me.

CL

Not to turn this thread 180 degrees... but,

I would love to learn the good, bad and ugly on the DA-20. I am an ex-CRJ fella, currently on the Citation but my boss wants a Falcon 20C-5. The plane is completely upgraded and seems like a great new nest. We plan on attending Simuflite in DFW for the training, so any opinions on that are welcome as well. PM me if you like as to keep the thread in order.

Thx!

great airplane. Its a good value for the money, it goes far - but not too far.

no annoying 8 hour legs. A trip or two to europe and the boss will learn its better to stay domestic anyway.

the furthest you'll go is some resort in mexico.

its performance is somewhat limited - so no challenging airports stuck up in some stupid mountain range.

it looks great in the hanger and fine on the ramp.

it flies nice - but the autopilot flies it better. Nicer versions of them have expresso makers... but the coffee is fine as well. The sound system is pretty cool - plently loud for sitting in the hanger doing the odd jepp.

for the occasional 135 trip - it isn't a 601 nor a 604... so the intelligent buyer is simply confused by it. He isn't sure if its a big hawker or just a challenger with lazy pilots.

the only thing better would be if it was day vfr... but some @#$# certified it to fly in the clouds and at night.

so get one... heck at these prices - buy two.

FOB said:
Not to turn this thread 180 degrees... but,

I would love to learn the good, bad and ugly on the DA-20. I am an ex-CRJ fella, currently on the Citation but my boss wants a Falcon 20C-5. The plane is completely upgraded and seems like a great new nest. We plan on attending Simuflite in DFW for the training, so any opinions on that are welcome as well. PM me if you like as to keep the thread in order.

Thx!

What would you like to know about the Falcon 20's?

Looks like you are getting Garrett engines, which is good, BUT are they the 731-5AR or 731-5BR? (You want the BR's)...

Also a C model only has DLE's (Droop Leading Edges) and only partial wing at that, an F Model has DLE's and Slats and they are full span, typically an F model will require approx. 1,000 ft. LESS runway than a C model for a given weight. Also the F model carries 9,098 Lbs of fuel while the C model carries 8,317 lbs. of fuel....

If you can get him to find an F model with the 5BR engines, that would be a good all around machine... stay away from any Falcon 20 with the old GE engines...

Hope this helps...

Feel free to PM me if you have more questions...

Boxflyr,

The Challenger 600 is a great buy in todays market. Good aircraft with all the avionics upgrades (RVSM,TCAS II, TAWS) are currently selling in the mid 5.5 mil range. Some of the later serial numbers have EFIS cockpits but you will pay a premium for them. Definately stay away from the first 24 serial numbers, they have an undesireable airstair and the pricing difference is approximately 1.0 million dollars between pre 1024 and post 1024 aircraft. Most all of the aircraft have MSP on the engines and the upgraded L2C mods, stay away from the ones that don't. Where else can you find a large cabin aircraft that will fly anywhere in the US for 5.5 million dollars...No where. Unless you want a GII or GIII with all the noise issues that go with them. As far as looking at the CL600 on the ramp, many people can't tell the difference between a 600 and 601. The only difference is the engines. Cabin size is the same, so it makes a great charter airplane. By the way, the 601/1a will cost you somewhere in the 7.5 million range (almost 50% more than the 600) for a good aircraft.

If you want more info on the 600 drop me a line. I'd be glad to help you out!!!

Hope this helps!!!

What was/is the problem with the ALF-502 engines? Also, what is MSP and the L2C mod you reference?

Moosetrax

Hey Moose,

I do know that with our CL600, we pay $640/flight hour for both engines... and that's MSP Gold.

Latest resources

Back