• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Chalks Ocean Airways Plane Plummets into the Ocean

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
There have been some incidents where part of a wing was lost and the pilot(s) still landed safely. A Pan Am 707 had an outboard engine fire just after takeoff (I think it was in the early '60s out of SFO) and the engine separated, taking the outer wing section with it, but the crew brought it in (certainly earned their pay that day...oh, I forgot, just overpaid bus drivers). And of course, there are many examples of combat damaged aircraft that came back missing big chunks of structure that should have rendered them unflyable.
But obviously there is a point beyond which the pilot basically becomes a spectator; that has to be the worst possible scenario, when you know you've got nothing left to use to save yourself. I hate even imagining what it was like for those folks, and since I knew the copilot, it makes it even worse.

RIP Paul.

My thoughts are with those that were on that flight, both passengers and crew.

Airbrush and AIR2MUD,

I feel for you as well. Most often the thoughts are with the families of the victims. It is the friendships that the victims have that are often overlooked. Someone once told me that the aviation community is as small as the fastest plane. I'm sure the crew touched many lives. My sincere condolences to all those touched by this accident.

Latest resources

Back