• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

CFIs-hrs flown/mo. at large schools?

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
I was an instructor at South Dakota State University. I was anywhere between 75 and 115 hours per month with 8-12 students. SDSU Aviation started 3.5 years ago with 15 students. There are now 150 students with 50 more already committed for Fall 2003, making it one of the fastest growing programs in the country. GO JACKRABBITS!!

I agree with everything you said, Flyinhard. My intention wasn't to spark a debate. Nothing against the universities with flight programs, I graduated from one myself. It sounded like he was comparing schools for possible employment and I just wanted to remind him not to count out the small schools. I'm glad you enjoy UND, I have known several fine pilots from there.

Happy flying.

I flew at a semi-small flight school in upstate NY. It was part 61 and had the older planes that you don't usually see at universities. We did have about 20 A/C ranging from 152's up to PA-180's and a few Aztecs for cargo hauling. Averaged about 80-100hrs a month in the sping/summer/fall..(lot less in the winter) usually had atleast 10 consistant students and then had another 10 part timers...I had a phone list of about 20 students at any one time...(was only there 6 mnths.This was about 2000).
We had about 10 full time instructors...Good news is that all but one that I worked with is at a regional..everyone is at Comair/ACA/ASA....Kinda cool that all of us from a little flight school were able to get hired somewhere.

Latest resources

Back