CFII ticket

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

gnx99

I'm trying to buget for my CFII and am wondering how much instructor work and flying I should expect. I've got the written done and feel pretty good about the groundwork, so it doesn't seem I need to do a whole lot.

Am I overlooking anything?

it really shouldn't take much to do it, especially if you did your instrument recently. There will be no new information. It's basically an instrument checkride from the right seat in which the examiner may take over and ask you to teach him an approach or two along with some BAI. You already have your CFI so you don't have to teach a lesson (PTS). However, be prepared to present one just in case the examiner gets sneaky. Basically, if you are still up to speed on your instrument flying and book knowledge, it's a pretty easy checkride. You shouldn't need more than 3 or so hours in the plane if you are still up to speed. Just fly it from the right seat and talk your way through everything. Good luck.

CFI-I ride

Brush up on your instrument knowledge, be able to explain it to a 125-hour pilot or lesser, expect a lesson plan, and be able to fly out of the right seat under the hood while talking. Maybe three to five flights if you're fresh on instruments. The perspective of the panel is slightly different from the right seat.

Although you've already demonstrated that you can instruct, some examiners sneak in questions about the FOI, so be prepared for those. You might consider going back to the same examiner who gave you your CFI if you liked that person and you can. That helps things go easier because you're already acquainted and the examiner knows what you can do already.

Good luck with your practical.

CFII

When I did my CFII fixed wing add on in Arlington, TX, the examiner covered the attitude indicator and DG just after takeoff. Everything was compass turns and stuck card stuff. Did an oral, flew an NDB and an ILS and was done. Review your partial panel and compass turns!;)

All the previous posts are 100% right on. Flyboy's description is pretty much what you can expect for you CFII training. YOu could probably do it in as little as 3-5 hours if you are instrument proficient. My CFII checkride consisted of myself doing an instrument approach from the right seat, and the examiner doing an instrument approach, in which I had to cover up his instruments, and give him an engine failure during an approach (the ride was done in a Seminole).....and that was pretty much it.

As a CFII, I've signed off someone for their CFII checkride with just over 3hrs of dual given. Granted, I knew this student very well, and he was very proficient, but it just shows you it can be done in very minimal time.

Also, a helpful hint. If by chance you can do your CFII ride with the same examiner you took your instrument checkride with, it usually helps. If the examiner remembers you, your oral tends to be shorter because he/she will remember your instrument checkride and won't ask you the same questions over again.

Good luck!

Howdy!
I did my CFII a few months ago. It took me too long plus two serious attempts at the rating. Gaining instrument proficiency was the main holdup with one lesson every two weeks, or once a month. Once I attained that proficiency, I worked on a particular topic for two sim sessions, then did a simulated checkride flight and got the endorsement. The rating can be done in a weekend.

My CFII checkride was an IFR takeoff to a steep turn in the airport's designated practice area. Next was a ambigous hold clearance, to an ILS approach, missed with vectors to a GPS approach. The examiner had not flown in a /G airplane before so I instructed him on what I was doing and why while flying the approach, partial panel. The examiner took the landing and the taxi. 1.5 on the hobbs. The oral was about 3 hours plus lunch.

Fly SAFE!
Jedi Nein

Latest resources

Back