Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

Medivacer

Putting my time in.
My IFR has expired, and I'm planning on getting CFI and CFII.

My question is simple, am I able to kill to birds with one stone and renew my IFR when I do the CFII ride?

I believe the endorsment has expired. My last instrument ride was April of 2004. And two years to May 1st, and I'm about 18 months past the expiration.

Currency is the 6-6-6. Or am I wrong?

Currency is 6 Approaches, 1 hold and 1 intercepting and tracking a navaid in the past 6 months.
If you havgen't got that (and it sounds like you don't) the CFII should reset the clock.
Do you mean you need a flight review? If so the Examiner can do one when you do your CFII, but you have to ask specificly for him to do that as well so he can endorse you again. You will probably have to do a few extra maneuvers.

Being so far out of currency, you no longer qualify for accomplishing the required 6 approaches/6 + 6 month thing. What you're in need of is an Instrument Proficency Check (IPC) check in particular. The requirements for an IPC check are outlined in the front of the Instrument Rating PTS. It differs from what is required for 6 month currency. For instance, you will need to perform unusual attitudes, something not required for the 6 month currency.

Chances are that during the CFII training you will cover all the necessary requirements with your instructor who should be able to endorse you for another 6 months. Don't forget that you'll normally be PIC on your checkride, although that of course can be negotiated with the examiner, but most like to not have that responsibility.

Your training for the CFII should cover also the IPC requirements, your instructor needs to give you the IPC sign-off and the sign-off for the checkride.
The makes you PIC for the checkride.

I'm planning on getting CFI and CFII.

My question is simple, am I able to kill to birds with one stone and renew my IFR when I do the CFII ride?
To answer your question, you are not able to use any flight instructor certification ride to double as any pilot currency (BFR, IR, whatever) renewal.

FAA regulatory wording makes the two certificates seperate. A flight instructor ride tests instructor skills. Period.

A pilot certification ride tests pilot skills, which can be substituted for a pilot recurrency by the reg, but you cannot be out of currency for the ride, if required.

You are studying for your CFI, so you need to know this precisely, and be able to support it in the regulations.

Also, all pilots applying for certification rides are considered Pilot in Command, including student pilots, so they must meet all currency requirements. The examiner is not PIC, and the applicant must meet all currency requirements.

Last edited:
Thanks. Thats exactly what I was looking for.

I haven't started yet, and can't for another few months, thanks to my local.

Is currency required if you stay VFR? I know a lot of the DPE's around here won't do an Instrument checkride in IFR. And if it isnt, does the checkride reset the currency requirments?

Is currency required if you stay VFR? I know a lot of the DPE's around here won't do an Instrument checkride in IFR. And if it isnt, does the checkride reset the currency requirments?
Instrument currency would not be required if you don't file an instrument flight plan. You have to be a current instrument pilot to fly on an instrument clearance.

Most examiners don't do actual IFR flight plans, so the currency would not be required.

No. As I said in my post, indicated by the boldface items, a flight instructor practical test is not legally a pilot practical test.

A CFI ride does not fit the regulatory wordage indicated in 61.56(flight review) or 61.57 (recent flight experience).

The best procedure is to have the recommending instructor sign off on currency. His recommendation has the implication of currency, just like passing the ride, but it does not fit the regulatory requirement specified in 61.56 or 57.

To make it clear, have the recommending CFI sign off on currency - Flight Review and Instrument Currency.

Latest resources

Back