Cfi....

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Almerick07 said:
with the exception to a few helpful individuals I want to say some of you are the least motivational pilots around....

I'll assume that was pointed at me. You'll probably disagree, but I would think that I'd be doing you a far bigger favor by aquainting you with the facts of the matter vs. blowing sunshine up your poop chute. I'm telling you to expect setbacks so that you can plan for and weather them, so that the inevitable snag will not derail you. Life is still worth living if you don't make CFI in a month. We're all pullin' for ya, big guy.

In my professional opinion, a student is a lot more likely to succeed if problem areas are a. identified, b. acknowledged, and c. properly dealt with. If that makes me seem un-motivational, so be it. At least I give a flyin' sh#t about my students, unlike some folks who just want to grab the time and run.

...make it my goal to never jade or present doubt in a students mind that something cant be done...

So, the key to success is to be free of doubt? No, my friend, doubt is always present. When we suppress it, it gains more power. When we acknowledge and deal with it, it becomes manageable.

I have goals; a month to get my CFI done is MY goal, so why dont you go worry about yourself goose and stop bringing the rest of us down.

Fine, best of luck. It's sort of funny, though, that you consider the fact that I told you that your CFI might take two months or three months as "bringing [you] down" or "jading" you, or putting "doubts" in your mind. Are you that insecure? Notice I never told you that you couldn't get your CFI, just that it may take you longer than you had planned for.

But hey, if you can get it done in a month, more power to you.

-Goose

look I didnt come here to start $hit with anyone; I appreciate your concern but bottom line was I wasnt asking for concern, just some resources that might make my training a little more efficient.

what percentage of your CFI rides was FOI stuff and how much was the rest? Also did you go with an FAA examiner or one of those designated guys they have in Colorado and a few other places? I've finished my flying portion and have the FOI under my belt. Today I'm grabbing the FAR aim and commiting part 61 to memory.

Just so I can mediaite this, a month to get the CFI is not out of the question. ATP offers a CFI course which will get you the CFI/CFII/MEI in 14 days. So getting a CFI in a month is doable. Now the argument for it possibly taking over a month for the CFI is also valid because you have to take into account the weather, scheduling conflicts, airplane availability, and the D.E or FSDO's schedule.

So Gooseegg is not trying to rain on your parade, he is just trying to tell you that any one of the things listed above could delay you from your stated goal.

ToiletDuck said:
what percentage of your CFI rides was FOI stuff and how much was the rest?

I'd say about 10% FOI, 40% Regs, and the other 50% was teaching my technical subject area (Aircraft Control Surfaces) and maneuver lessons (Lazy 8s.)

Also did you go with an FAA examiner or one of those designated guys they have in Colorado and a few other places?

DE, from Grand Junction, CO.

Today I'm grabbing the FAR aim and commiting part 61 to memory.
Excellent idea. Don't forget 91.

-Goose

almerick07, you came here for advice and maybe a little encouragement, and here it is. while agree with goose egg that training "takes how long it takes," i did my cfi initial in 1 week (aka 7 days). the only hold-up was the fsdo and getting the ride scheduled. granted, i was READY.

good luck.

casper1nine

Now that is impressive, I've got my writtens out of the way and am in the process of getting my checkride scheduled. Flying from the right seat is not as hard as I thought it would be, but that paralax kills me when making powersettings....As of now it is all study study study.

Some advise on saving money on the CFI training: Find another pilot to go with you and sit left seat while you practice from the right until you feel comfortable, then fly solo until you are proficient. You know how to do all the maneuvers, there's no sense in paying someone to teach you what you already know. If possible fly with different instructors during your training. you'll pick up techniques that will be very usefull. Don't skimp on the ground training. You will need to know the FOI and limitations and privileges of the CFI cert. Be very familiar with the required endorsements for a private pilot student during all phases of their training.
Stall/spin awareness is huge, if you mess this part up, you have to do a spin on your checkride. Good luck

Schedule your ride soon...

The initial CFI is one of the hardest to get scheduled, not many DPEs can do them, and those that do need permission from the local FSDO, which would rather do them, not to mention it's free at the FSDO. The DPE will probably charge around $300 for one. It sounds like you have somebody that can do an initial CFI quickly. If not, get the ball rolling now. A month to wait for a FSDO is not uncommon.

viper548 said:
Some advise on saving money on the CFI training: Find another pilot to go with you and sit left seat while you practice from the right until you feel comfortable, then fly solo until you are proficient. You know how to do all the maneuvers, there's no sense in paying someone to teach you what you already know. If possible fly with different instructors during your training. you'll pick up techniques that will be very usefull. Don't skimp on the ground training. You will need to know the FOI and limitations and privileges of the CFI cert. Be very familiar with the required endorsements for a private pilot student during all phases of their training.
Stall/spin awareness is huge, if you mess this part up, you have to do a spin on your checkride. Good luck

...not necessarily, I agree 100% with everything but 1 item, you have to exhibit instructional knowledge of spin awareness and avoidance the DPE or Inspector probably does not want to spin so if you mess that question up the next one you get will be, lets say unanswerable.

That was in my teachings though, make sure you know your stuff....

Latest resources

Back