CFI resume

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

highflying

Can anyone give me any tips on making a resume. I will soon have my CFI and this would be my first flying job to apply for so I dont really have much flying experience except for training. So I am affraid that my resume will look pretty empty.

Thanks

Don't feel bad. I remember when I handed my first resume to a guy. He looked at it for a second or two, then laughed. I said what, he looked at me and said "the ink is still wet on this, come back when you have at least 500 hours." I soon stumbled on to something even better. Don't get frustrated, just press on.

There's a certain format pilots use. I believe that is what you are searching for. You can PM me and I'll shoot you out an email with my crappy hours on it. You'll feel better about your hours and you can just backspace out my info and put in your own.

Screw it, here's an adaption.

Jeff Joseph B

Current Address Social Security Number Telephone Contacts
1234 Blah Blah Ave 123-45-678 555-555-1212

Objective: A Flight Instructor Position.

Licenses and Ratings:Commercial pilot, Airplane Single Engine Land; Instrument
Airplane Multi Engine Land (Pending)
Certified Flight Instructor: Airplane (Pending)
FAA Medical Certificate: Class 1

Flight Time: Total……………………………………………………… ……234
Pilot-in-Command………………………………………………168
Single-Engine………………………………………………..….230
Total Instrument………………………………………………….54
Cross-Country………………………………………………..…..96
Night……………………………………………………………..19

Employment History:

07/02-present Flying Service Assistant FBO Manager
boonies

09/00-07/01 Logistics Delivery Driver:Worked 5-6 10 hour night shifts a week
Davis, CA delivering xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

01/99-08/00 Medical Supply Account Executive: Cultivated positive client relationships
california with stufff..fds.amf.dsma.fdsa.
Formal Education:

Central Community College Associate Science Degree in Aviation Management/
City, Illinois Professional Pilot

University of Bachelor of Arts Degree:Art major/English minor
City, Illinois

Flight Training:

Certified Flight Instructor: Central Community College (Part 141)
Multi-Engine Rating: Central Community College (Part 141)
Commercial Pilot license: Central Community College (Part 141)
Instrument Rating: Central Community College (Part 141)
Private Pilot Certificate: Sky Inc. (Part 141)

Personal Data: Excellent Health: Non-Smoker, Drug-Free
Professional appearance/attitude
Interests: Motorcycles, fishing, snowboarding, golf

Availability: December 2002

References Available Upon Request

This didn't copy/paste well. Just use the format and space out evenly so that the whole page is centered.

Best of luck, and PM me with any questions. This is from when I first started job hunting. I sent out probably 100, and never had a problem with how I laid it out.

If you are still interested, PM me your email and I'll attach a copy of mine. I've gotten good remarks about it at interviews.

Resume

I like Labbats' resume, but with a couple of changes.

Under Objective, you might consider just putting down "Professional Pilot Employment." Of course, you're going for a CFI job, but employment as a professional pilot is what you really want.

I might leave out the "drug-free" statement under Personal Information. I think things could be read into that. Also, I would say nothing about personal appearance. Let them meet you and they will see that you are professional-appearing.

Under Education, don't hesitate to put in such things as honors, quality internships and school activities, athletics, and a good GPA.

Finally, put in under Availability as Immediate. Don't worry if it isn't 100% true. Most places will give you at least a couple of weeks to give notice and relocate.

Doug Taylor put up a resume format on his website. Granted, his resume is for a more experienced pilot, but it will at least give you an idea of what a pilot resume should look like. I like his format, but I would put Education right after the flight time grid. You have to provide the most pertinent information highest, i.e. who you are, how you can be reached, your certificates and ratings, and your flight time. Education is less important for the purpose of your resume.

Hope these ideas help further. Don't worry that your resume might look empty. At your stage of the game, you simply don't have much flight experience to list. Just be sure to put down your work experience and summarize what you did in each job. Good luck with your practical and job search.

Last edited:
resume

I have a few from some regional and major guys. I've used it and after the first turn-downs (hardly any instruction time) it eventually landed me a job instructing. PM with your email and I'll shoot it your way

Latest resources

Back