Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

WestHouston

Something witty
Quick question: I just got my CFI and want to start looking around the Houston area for a part time job while I finish school. When writing a resume, is there any templates or rules of thumb for writing a CFI resume? I've written resume's in the past but they were always for other types of jobs. Any info would be great, thanks!

I had no clue on writing a resume, and still don't. I just signed up for climbto350.com, wrote in my stuff, and the guys running the website formatted it nicely, so my resume looks organized and nice.

My resumes in the past have followed the usual "standard" format that one usually finds in them, but with a couple of additons.

Make sure to include a section with your pilot qualifications with all of your certificates, ratings, and endorsements. It also doesn't hurt to state your type of medical. Then put in a breakdown of your flight times. Put down the important numbers like total, XC, night, ME, IFR, and any others you feel may give you an edge but don't go overboard. If you have time in a specific aircraft type that you feel may give your chances a boost, put that down as well. Only go this route if there is a particular airframe type that your potential employer uses and you have time in that type.

When you get down to the accomplishments or achievments section, put down any aviation related awards or recognitions or groups that you have. Examples would be Wings phases or any FAA aviation awards, and membership in EAA or AOPA.

Beyond that, make sure it's legible and not overly fancy and that you put a current contact info on it. Adding an email address to your contact information doesn't hurt a bit, but don't put down [email protected] or anyting like that.

Go online and see some resumes that are posted - they don't have to be aviation related. You'll get an idea of what to put. You probably realize this, but don't include high school data or awards. Most companies are looking for current and post-secondary education activities/awards. Good luck, and make sure you have someone else look over it before submitting!

Thanks y'all. Wow, well I banged one together and dropped it by two local flight schools and they both offered me jobs so I guess I did ok. Thanks for the advice!

I used to deal with lots of CFI resume's so here we go:

• Do not put your name in the largest font you can find.
  • Under "objective" put CFI at school ABC, not "first officer"
  • Do not put your flight time in decimals also; eg 324.5, put it down as 324.
  • Do not put your flight time down in every airplane that you have ever flown, like Baron 0.7, Cessna 182 1.2 and C90 0.9. Everybody knows that is bogus time and you just got a ride. Stick to the types that matter, especially the types that your potential future employer uses.
  • Put down your " Dual given" if you have any, you know how many resume's I have seen that don't mention dual given? This is for a CFI position right?
  • Split work experience in aviation related and non aviation related. If you have no aviation related work experience put down the experience you have in customer related or people skills related jobs. Life guard, cashier at Walmart, aisle 14 at Home Depot it all shows you are not afraid to deal with total strangers.
  • Always show some interests outside of aviation.
  • Mention other skills such as languages, computer skills, proficient with Windows, Excell, Quickbooks or some other program they are likely to be using.
  • Do not go into extreme detail describing your previous jobs, one line, at the most two.
  • When you mention references don't put your CFI buddy on the list, we all know he's not gonna sing anything but praise. Put contact details down for references.

Latest posts

Latest resources

Back