CFI renewal

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

unreal

Welp, my CFI expires at the end of the month, and I'm going to be knocking out the Gleim renewal within the next couple days. What I'm trying to decide on is whether or not I should do the mail-in renewal or just do the 1-1/2 hour drive to FSDO.

I'm cutting it slightly close I think and would rather just make the drive, but I'm not sure how easy it is to get an appointment with FSDO. Would I be able to give them a call and make an appointment for a couple days later, or do they book way in advance?

Also, if I were to use the mail-in system, would I be cutting it close with my Aug 31st expiration, or are they pretty quick about it?

Thanks.

I know of someone who chose to have them do it for them. Apparently some sort of mix up caused the paperwork to be sent late to the FAA and their certificate ultimately expired. They had to do a checkride to reinstate. I would just make the trip. Good luck.

Regards

unreal said:
Welp, my CFI expires at the end of the month, and I'm going to be knocking out the Gleim renewal within the next couple days. What I'm trying to decide on is whether or not I should do the mail-in renewal or just do the 1-1/2 hour drive to FSDO.

Thanks.

I know a guy who decided to got to the FSDO. He went after taking off early from work and driving 70 miles he got to the FSDO with no appointment. So it was sorry, come back tomorrow.

The next day he again had to ask for a favor to leave work early. They needed him to stay a little later though. When he drove to the FSDO he was speeding a little on the interstate because he was going to be close on his appointment and this was the last day of the month for his renewal.

Well he got stopped by the State police for speeding and was given a ticket. When he finally got to the FSDO 25 minutes late for his appointment and 5 min before closing he was able to at least talk his way in for the renewal. But when asked for his photo ID for the application he could only produce the ticket because his DL was used as bail.

The FAA had no choice but to say that the application could not be processed. It was just too bad for him and the only way to renew now was a CFI reinstatment with a DPE.

Moral of the story, pay the money and let GLIME do it for you.

i hope you are not planning on going to the HOUSTON FSDO. those lazy m*therfu*k$ wouldn't throw water on you if you ran in there on fire unless you had an "appointment". they claim they are short staffed and you have to make an appointment to come in so some overweight donut eating desk jock can look at your paperwork and sign his name for you. all i can say is dont wait til the last minute because they will not go out of they're way to help you.
good luck!

speed.

Latest resources

Back