Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

ilkwamh2

ILL-INI
Those of you who renewed your CFI through by using the 80% rule, how did you prove to the FAA that your students passed? Did you just type something up on Excel and showed them? How do they know that you are not lying? Any advice would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

-W

Yes, you are correct.

Type up the students first and last name, date of the test, examiner, type of test, and result (pass or fail). If you have it, put down their certificate #. If you don't have it, no big deal. Most of my sign-offs I have lost contact with, or they were receiving new Cert #'s, due to the no SSN rule.

When you go to the FSDO, the FAA takes your sheet of paper, and goes into their computer and double checks your report with their report.

Their computers show your pass rate right when they type in your CFI #, including who you signed off.

Be sure to fill out your 8710 before you go to the office.

Goldseal eligible?

I thought they were not giving gold seals out anymore. That's what I heard about a year and half ago. On the 8710, there is a lot of info that I did not fill out like "Certificate or Rating Applied For on Basis of" and "Instructor's Recommendation"...I guess I can always ask the FSDO when I make an appointment to go in with them.

ilkwamh2 said:
On the 8710, there is a lot of info that I did not fill out like "Certificate or Rating Applied For on Basis of" and "Instructor's Recommendation"...I guess I can always ask the FSDO when I make an appointment to go in with them.

??..What!!??..You're gonna go into a FSDO an' ASK QUESTIONS about fillin' out a 8710!!??

...Are you a CFI?
...Are you sellin' tickets to the show?

I don't know what they do in Champaign, but where I am at, Goldseals are very much alive. Need 8 out of 10 first time sign-offs, or better within 24 months.

8710 is very easy. Just check "Flight Instructor" and "Renewal", Boxes A through V in Part 1. No need to fill out anything in Part 2 (Certificate or Rating Applied for on the Basis Of:) Fill out Part 3 (Flight Time), Part 4, and sign it.

Nosehair-I know, I know...but I just had to help him out.

They just took my word for it when I renewed it with the FSDO. Took they 8710 copies I had of my students, but they didn't even look at them.

EB

Latest resources

Back