CFI renewal

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

Alaska

I know that you can show a record to the FAA showing you endorsed 5 students and 4 passed on the first attempt, but the regs say that you show a "training record" documenting this. I just wanted some clarification, does thise "training record" mean that I have to go get copies of the syllabuses I used with those students? All I've been keeping is a journal with the dates and names of people who have passed checkrides, I've given signoffs too, etc. Is this enough?

Not only do you not need to present a syllabus, but there is no need to use a syllabus.

You do need to present your records. Some only use a logbook, some use progress sheets, some a journal. Whatever you use that will provide documentation of your efforts; that's what you need to bring. You're probably reasonably safe with your logbook. If you have a journal listing the specifics so the inspector doesn't have to dig, bring that, too.

Good form is having xerox copies for the inspector, ready to go when you arrive. Bear in mind that it's not just four out of five; that's the minimum; you must maintain an 80% pass rate at a minimum.

Flight Instructor Records

I just kept records of my pass/fails in my logbook, per the FARs. Except for the Orlando FSDO, I never had any trouble renewing based on activity, and I always renewed months ahead of my expiration.

Hey Bobbysamd, or anyone else. In addition to bringing your documentation for your student pass/fail rate, do you also need to bring an 8710 form for the CFI renewal??

Do you simply walk into the FSDO when renewing, or did you usually call ahead of time before going in? How long did it take?

Just curious.

Thanks in advance for any info.

Application is made on FAA Form 8710, and you should check the following boxes: "Flight Instructor", and "Renewal of Flight Instructor Certificate" in Section 1.

Calling ahead is only courteous, and may save you a headache and wasted trip, if they're busy in the office.

I can't think of anything to add to Avbug's comment. I always typed my 8710s.

Except for the terrible Orlando FSDO :mad: , I never had any trouble and always walked in to the FSDO. It may not hurt to call ahead as a courtesy.

If this helps, all i had to do was write down the names of the student, date passed, which certificate it was.....then sign and date it. Filled 8710 out to.

1900cpt

Call and schedule ahead of time. You can't get into our local FSDO without an appointment due to increased security.

IGI & AGI Certificates

What about getting your IGI and AGI certificates? I took the writtens about a year and a half ago for free at my flight school, but never got my certificates. Other than bringing the written test scores up to the FSDO, what else do you need to bring or have for them? 8710? Is it as simple as bringing them the scores and 8710 form, or is there more involved in the process?

Thanks in advance

AGI-IGI

Yep. Just work up an 8710 and take your written test reports to Scottsdale. Your CFI is proof that you've passed the FOI written.

By the way, being a ground instructor certificate-holder is one of the requirements for getting your Gold Seal CFI. :)

Latest resources

Back